help the little guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggare

Reaction score
I live in a small town on the outskirts of the city. Today I saw a big company working in my town. guess you know where this is going..
I wonder why folks don't at least get an estimate from a local company before hiring the big guns. any thoughts?

Do they even know you are there?

Some times the big names just get a lot of attention. There aren't really big players in my immediate market, but I wonder the same thing with TrueGreen/Chemlawn vs. the local turf experts who really know their stuff. Then again, for the most part, I know some of the turf guys know their stuff and some who just know how to run a mower. How is a homeowner supposed to know???

I know what you mean. I had bid on 3 big pines on a property line and a fence between 2 houses. Tight quarters but enough room to work. They sold the house a few months later. The new owner moved in and in 2 weeks one of the biggest crews in the state was removing them. They had to travel a pretty good distance too. Huge crane, trucks, skid steers and too many crew members to even start to count. So I stop in and say hey. Friendly guys. So was I. Visited for a little bit. They offered the price for the job. Over twice what I had bid. It was a 2 day job for me. They were there a day and a half. I watched them move plywood for over an hour trying to get the crane out without ruining the lawn. I just thought how much wood could be moved with the same amount of effort. Btw there are only 2 on my crew. I saw the lady that bought the house come outside once and go right back in. My bucket was parked right in front. I didn't really care since I'm booked solid for about 4 months anyway but I too wondered about the thought process on that. I'm in the phone book and have worked for all the neighbors. I figure she looked it up online. I don't advertise online. Also I'm not putting down cranes at all. I would like to have one myself. I just don't think it would up production after seeing that particular setup in action. It would make these storm damage jobs go easier though.

I know what you mean. I had bid on 3 big pines on a property line and a fence between 2 houses. Tight quarters but enough room to work. They sold the house a few months later. The new owner moved in and in 2 weeks one of the biggest crews in the state was removing them. They had to travel a pretty good distance too. Huge crane, trucks, skid steers and too many crew members to even start to count. So I stop in and say hey. Friendly guys. So was I. Visited for a little bit. They offered the price for the job. Over twice what I had bid. It was a 2 day job for me. They were there a day and a half. I watched them move plywood for over an hour trying to get the crane out without ruining the lawn. I just thought how much wood could be moved with the same amount of effort. Btw there are only 2 on my crew. I saw the lady that bought the house come outside once and go right back in. My bucket was parked right in front. I didn't really care since I'm booked solid for about 4 months anyway but I too wondered about the thought process on that. I'm in the phone book and have worked for all the neighbors. I figure she looked it up online. I don't advertise online. Also I'm not putting down cranes at all. I would like to have one myself. I just don't think it would up production after seeing that particular setup in action. It would make these storm damage jobs go easier though.

"since I'm booked solid for about 4 months anyway but I too wondered about the thought process on that."

That's the thing in many cases. We are booked out a ways too. Many people will pay more because they don't want to wait.

Latest posts

Back