Help to identify Stihl saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersenj20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got my Stihl back today. This number on top looks to me like 623AV Wood Boss.
However, looking on the webpage doesn't show one. It may be a 023 but looking at pictures online don't seem to match. Mine has the "suspension mounts" between the engine and handle.

Here are pictures.

If you are posting it here, it looks like it could be a sign of the early stage of that nefarious syndrome known as CAD. Cool saw, though. Many people really like them. An eBay acquisition?

have fun cut wood be safe live 2 have fun cut wood long time:greenchainsaw:

Thanks. I downloaded the manual and thats it.

It was my fathers. Got it when he passed. I rebuilt the carb when I got it and the blade didn't cut real well so I never got around to really using it. I have sharpened it but still must need the depth gauges taken down a bit.

46 CC's is a little small to mill with, but nevertheless, thats what I'm going to try. After I add a bigger bar.

What's CAD? Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder?

Is the brake just missing or was it not ever installed?.....if it never had one, I think its older than dirt and a smaller displacement model. The "Electric Quickstop" might place it as a newer saw but who knows whether the top is original. Still a terrific saw, though.

Oh, I wouldn't mill with it.... it's not just a little small, its a LOT small. That might be attemtped murder. Saw-slaughter?

Last edited:
Yup, definitely an 028av Wood Boss. 44mm piston=47cc (as long as the jug is as the badge reflects). Well worth the effort to get 'er going in tip top shape. It's not one of the oldest models 'cuz it's got a plastic tank/rear handle assembly. It appears also to have a chain brake, just missing the handle/hand guard. From one of the pictures you can see the activating lever appearing above the clutch cover. Of course it could be gutted inside too.........my first one looked like that, put a new handle on it figuring I had it fixed but it still wouldn't work. I peeked under the inside cover to find someone had removed everything except the lever and spring. I found doner pieces though.

As Andre says too small for a milling saw, unless you're just doing cedar fence posts and such. I've used one of mine for notchin' timbers for framing and things but I'd never attempt to make boards with it.

Last edited:
I was wondering what was missing from those bolt holes. I'll have to peek and see if the internals are there. I will take heed to the recommendations and be on the lookout for a bigger saw. In the meantime, I have been so excited about trying the CSM out, I have to try it. Once I get a bigger bar and proper chain. The bar can always go to the bigger saw if need be.

Thanks for all the help.

You'll want to make sure that the bigger bar & chain you're getting to run temporarily (hopefully very temporarily) on the 028 will be compatible with whatever bigger saw you get.

Latest posts

Back