Help w Oregon Chain Codes and Filing Specs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgtr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at trying an Oregon Micro Chisel 20BPX (20BPX072G) chain on my Husky 55 (18" .325, 050 7T). I've got rather sandy conditions and am cutting red oak and hickory. Reading threads here - my understanding is that semi-chisel can hold up better in sandy conditions and may be easier to sharpen (hand file).

Q: The Oregon Micro Chisel 20BPS chain is in fact a 'semi-chisel' correct?

Q: What is the consumer package chain 'code'? H72?

Many stores that carry Oregon only have packages that reference 'codes' like "H72" or "D72" ... Oregon's own PDFs and online selector guides don't provide these codes! I've found some online tables like How to use the Oregon Selector Guide but there are contradictions between that and a printed Oregon chain data sheet (from a new chain package) I have from 2007 or so which associates "H" with the 33SL (a full chisel I think?) chain rather than the 20BPX chain...?

Q: What is the filing angle on the 20BPX (or 95VP)? 0 or 10?

Again my 2007 data sheets consistently listed 0 for most all Oregon chains but most of the current online online sheets for the same chains show 10. However this sheet seems to contradict itself and shows BOTH (if I'm reading it correctly): http://www.baileysonline.com/PDF/Oregon_20BPX.pdf See page 2 - it shows BOTH 0 and 10...?

Thanks!

Back