Help with bar and chain on 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodtic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here, but have been lurking for a while now. With the help of this site, I decided on a used Husqvarna 353. I don't have it yet (I can't wait!), but know that I want a larger bar and chain. I just don't know what makes the most sense. I'm leaning to a 18" or 20". So I was thinking a .325 .050 skip chisel.
I won't be cutting huge trees, but found a little more bar than my buddy's 18" MS270 would be nice.

Welcome to A.S.!

I have a 353 and really like it. It came with a 20 inch bar, and narrow kerf (NK) .325 chain. While I have used it that way occasionally, it balances and cuts much nicer with a 16 inch, .325 NK chain.

Skip chain is usually used when you bury a really long bar in the wood, and need help clearing chips, or put too large of a bar on a powerhead, and don't really have the power to pull it. If you want to run a 20 inch bar regularly, you should move up to a 60cc saw IMO.

Philbert

I would go with an 18 if it were me, nothing more. I am running an 18 nk on my 550xpg.

While that saw will pull a 20 ok, you will really dog the saw if you have it buried.

I understand about over using the powerhead. In all reality, I would probably only want a 20" bar a very small % of the time.
What does the .050 or .058 mean? What's the difference?

16" is all I'd ask of it, unless I was only ever cutting pine or willow or balsa.

A 16" bar that is cutting like mad is going to be more impressive, and more useful, than a longer bar that keeps bogging your saw down.

I currently have a Stihl MS 170 with a 14" bar. It's only a 30cc saw, and is amazing. But then again, around our house, it's all white cedar, balsam, and some different pines. I'm yet to cut any hard woods with it. I do plan on it with the 353 though.

I understand about over using the powerhead. In all reality, I would probably only want a 20" bar a very small % of the time.
That is referring to the drive link thickness. .050, .058, .063 are all the common sizes. Nk also known as narrow kerf, or I do believe its sometimes called pixel. Nk will take out a narrower cut of wood and make the saw feel more powerfull with the same size bar.

Your chain, drive sprocket, and bar have to work together as a system: pitch, gauge, and drive link count have to be compatible. Change one and you may need to change the others to match.

http://www.baileysonline.com/PDF/saw-chain-101.pdf

Narrow kerf chain (a.k.a. 'pixel', 'Micro-Lite', or Husqvarna H30, Oregon 95V, Carlton K1-NK) should be matched with a narrow kerf bar.

Philbert

Back