Help with first bid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a skidding winch on a 7100# 4wd tractor for pulling. This delicate suburban stuff is kinda foreign to me. :)

I've been enjoying the youtube videos and have gotten half way through my tree climber's companion.

It is definitely my kind of tree. Several AS folks have said it is not for the beginner. Yes with out some really good experience behind you it certainly could be an overgrown nightmare. There are many ways to get the job done. They all have there place. One way that has worked for me is to get to a stable spot in the middle and the start lowering the branches down. Using a sling shot will get your lines where they need to be and some times a rope saw. This is something that in my opinion will test the very best in that it will grind out to what seems like forever. Yeah it can be done solo, but it will wear most experts out. At least one good trustworthy ground person is pretty much necessary because for some one to go up and down doing all the steps will take its toll. Most of my friends would have already ordered a crane. Best of luck and tell how it is going. Thanks

It is definitely my kind of tree. Several AS folks have said it is not for the beginner. Yes with out some really good experience behind you it certainly could be an overgrown nightmare. There are many ways to get the job done. They all have there place. One way that has worked for me is to get to a stable spot in the middle and the start lowering the branches down. Using a sling shot will get your lines where they need to be and some times a rope saw. This is something that in my opinion will test the very best in that it will grind out to what seems like forever. Yeah it can be done solo, but it will wear most experts out. At least one good trustworthy ground person is pretty much necessary because for some one to go up and down doing all the steps will take its toll. Most of my friends would have already ordered a crane. Best of luck and tell how it is going. Thanks
Tell,tell my ass lol:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Some of this is hilarious! Some of the crap I here drives me nutz. It's like what happened to actually climbing a tree? Climbing all the way out to the tips. If yall can't remove a tree without these convoluted techniques how could anybody actually trim a tree??

We start this thing Tuesday can't get the crane in, driveways are too narrow guess what no sling shots, rope saws, no tractors, buckets or anything but a climber a few ropes and a good old fashioned log cart....
930b17f009f8adbe91f72af4451e738f.jpg
5de472578c3ac4391a6b52a35d29d214.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Some of this is hilarious! Some of the crap I here drives me nutz. It's like what happened to actually climbing a tree? Climbing all the way out to the tips. If yall can't remove a tree without these convoluted techniques how could anybody actually trim a tree??

We start this thing Tuesday can't get the crane in, driveways are too narrow guess what no sling shots, rope saws, no tractors, buckets or anything but a climber a few ropes and a good old fashioned log cart....
930b17f009f8adbe91f72af4451e738f.jpg
5de472578c3ac4391a6b52a35d29d214.jpg

You've got substantially more vertical structure with that one. I'd take that tree over the other one any day ending in Y.

They don't got wide trees in the woods? Lol

I might have helped him out there, can't remember but he def had to get back on his own.

Lol, yes we got wide ones. I have done too many like that with no crane, I taint naw chicken :p I gotta admit that has to make it a breeze though:drinking:

I would price it for him several different ways.

Total removal I guess in the 3200-3500 range. If you're leaving him a mess Probably closer to 2k.

Besides the 3 hour drive, only having one vehicle right now with a family of 4 has prevented me from even going to look in person yet. But I assure you all, I will not leave you hanging!

No pun intended.

On a side note;
I built an APTA yesterday but haven't tried it out yet.

I ain't skeerd easily, but I've only been using a throw bag for a few months and I'm definitely not proficient with them yet. And since I've never climbed a tree without spikes professionally I never had a use for setting a line from the ground anyway, unless it was to rig a tree for removal without climbing at all.

Two of my best options for new employment would have me climb trees without spikes, so I figured why not.

I'm not a sniper with a throw bag either (bird shot has more precision). Fortunately, all our trees are short so it's not an issue. :D

I'm curious to see your gizmo. Only thing I've ever built with PVC is house plumbing and spud guns, with the occasional bow stand (for archery).

I ain't skeerd easily, but I've only been using a throw bag for a few months and I'm definitely not proficient with them yet. And since I've never climbed a tree without spikes professionally I never had a use for setting a line from the ground anyway, unless it was to rig a tree for removal without climbing at all.

Two of my best options for new employment would have me climb trees without spikes, so I figured why not.

What happens when your air cannon springs a leak or blows up in your face because of too much pressure. Learn to throw. Practice makes perfect.

Latest posts

Back