Help with Japanese Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark-O

Reaction score
I live in Los Angeles, CA and have a almost 6 year old Japanese Maple tree. It seems to have done well and appears beautiful and healthy. However, over the past year I noticed a groove in the bark and pealing and it appears to have occured in multiple areas. Yesterday I oberved a different problem-what appears to be a pin hole in a different area of the trunk. Is this from an insect? Is there anything I can I do about these two issues?

Attachments

• IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3226.JPG
    IMG_3226.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Very interesting discoloration at the margins of 1 and 4. Perhaps one of the paint/crust decay fungi in family Xylariaceae? Definitely a borer exit hole in the center there.
Other pics are more typical of winter sunscald/SW disease. These damaged areas are also prone to borer attack, commonly flatheaded apple tree borer on maples in my area but can't attest to those in your area.

Perhaps opaque cover during the winter. Systemic insecticides will control some borers, cover sprays with strong rates of pyrethroid insecticides coinciding with adult flying and egg laying will control others.

Latest posts

Back