Help with leaning Oaks - Irma damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnFL

Reaction score
Hi all,
Awesome site and glad I found it. I'm in Naples, FL and as you probably know we took a direct hit from Irma. There are an enormous amount of trees down. Our house and family are ok thankfully. I've had a couple downed trees that I've taken care of but I have some big 50+ foot trees that are leaning and roots exposed from the ground. I tried to do a search through the site on leaning trees/oaks and it appears ever circumstance is different.

My question is, based on these pictures, I'm assuming the trees are ok and can be saved? I've heard advice from one company to top the trees and strategically trim some weight from the way it's leaning. Is this good advice? Should I try to cable or try to help the tree roots (they used to be under ground)? We back up to a pond so the ground is fairly soft and saturated with water.

Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_1823.jpg IMG_1820.jpg IMG_1822.jpg IMG_1826.jpg

See my earlier post of 3 days ago. Very similar problem in St Pete. We have been unable to get a response from any arborist, so taking matters into our own hands for now.liveoak.jpg

Thanks LBK. figured I would do the same until someone has time to come. What are you tethered to? Other trees?
I'm curious about topping the tree as well and doing so research on what time of year is best to do it.

Thanks LBK. figured I would do the same until someone has time to come. What are you tethered to? Other trees?
I'm curious about topping the tree as well and doing so research on what time of year is best to do it.
Right now she is is anchored by other trees. We used a come-along to crank down on the straps, then put a big ratchet in place to hold the tension and move the come-along to the opposite side. We also dropped a plumb bob from a branch on the leaning side to help determine if we made any headway. The plumb bob actually moved about an inch, but that was also after removing some large heavy limbs on the leaning side. I would not recommend topping any tree, but a good canopy thinning is probably required. As someone on this forum mentioned, thinning would allow the wind to pass thru the tree when the next storm comes along. As we all know, it doesn't take a hurricane. Even a simple thunderstorm here in FL can wreak havoc with high wind gusts. Good luck.

Shawn,
The good thing it looks like you have going for you...but it doesn't look like there is anything of value on the other side of that tree should it come down (except the fence)?

The challenge...that is a BIG tree to try to pull back and you are going to need something massive to not only pull it, but also to anchor it in. You'll be best off using a few pulleys to get some mechanical advantage. Is there anything to anchor it to if you do get it pulled?

1. Can they fall on anything you value more like a kid's bedroom or the car you need to keep your job?
If yes, remove.

2. How much oatience do you have? IF this works it is going to take time as in a decade or more.
If no, remove

3. Nylon straps don't like the sun and elements here. Use chains. $$$$.

4. Use several. I will defer to others on how to anchor them to the tree. BTW I believe it is possible to "bruise bark" on young transplants and girdle trees. Too many cankers mid trunk on 10 foot maples which have been transplanted for it not to be.

Good luck and be safe!

Latest posts

Back