Help with Snow Goose Cherry.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltonranger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I planted a 12' Snow Goose Cherry (Container from Home Depot but now in the ground) at work this year.
It was watered daily for as few weeks and then every other day. For a ten day stretch in the mild spring I was away and it wasn't watered. It lost all it's teeny new growth (This was after flowering and producing itty-bitty cherries) but otherwise appeared to respond to renewed daily watering for 9 days then back to every other day. Last week it was warm here (North Central CT) was not watered for 5 days in the warmer weather. Yesterday I found it looking quite bad.
I watered it and planned today to spray the leaves with Miracle Gro; and feed the roots with Miracle Gro also.

So my question - for those of you who may know;
Is what has happened biologically to the tree?
Will it most likely Die?
Is it Dying?
Is it going Dormant?
Am I foolish to think it will respond at all? ie. "too little too late"?
Is there any other care I should consider giving it?
Is 4 gal every other day of plain water sufficient under normal or even these circumstances?
See three photos below.
Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.
-br
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

I checked the tree today - - to me it appears worse rather than better.
It was very hot today and the ground there is still quite moist from last nights watering.
I sprayed the leaves only with a mix of Miracle Gro and water from my sprayer.
Very discouraging indeed.
-br

Keep it watered lay off the miracle grow and water it early morning and dusk not in heat of day, get that ground soaked good then let it dry in between watering but not too dry. Trees need lots of water establishing!

Is that mulch against the trunk? If so rake it back from the stem 6 inch or so!

Back