ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Help with spider crickets

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by DeanBrown3D, Mar 31, 2006.

1. DeanBrown3D

DeanBrown3D ArboristSite Operative

Last spring we had an infestation of spider crickets in the basement. I used to go down there and vacuum them up and spray insect killer. Now I just saw a few and its starting all over again I know it.

Any tips here or do I just call an exterminator? Is there a fumigating bomb I can buy that will do the trick?

They are scary little fcukers, give me the creeps. Dont get me wrong, I'm not one to freak out, but these little buggers are disgusting, and they really frighten my 3-year-old.

Thanks for any tips,

Dean

Here's a pic of what I'm up against:
    [​IMG]
    http://entweb.clemson.edu/cuentres/cesheets/hhold/ce190.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. 04ultra

04ultra "Out of Control"

3. DeanBrown3D

Thank Ultra - I put the pic up above from that link. That's exactly what I have.

4. 04ultra

04ultra "Out of Control"

Control efforts for camel crickets should include (as much as is practical) eliminating breeding and hiding sites outdoors around the house or building. Piles of bricks, stones, boards, leaves, etc., should be removed. Also, cracks and gaps in foundation or siding or around windows and doors should be sealed. Spraying a residual barrier of diazinon, Dursban or Sevin insecticide around the outside of the house may be of benefit if you apply sufficient spray to reach breeding sites. Treating indoor floor areas where camel crickets hide during the day is a last resort of limited benefit. The same residual insecticides used for ants and cockroaches can be used ("Home Pest Control", "ant and roach killer" or something similar). Occasional, individual crickets can be picked or swept up and discarded.

It looks like this might be your answer..Boy glad we dont have them ugly critters here..

5. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

I use the fumigating bombs in my basement once per year. Does a great job on what is there but doesn't prevent new encroachments. I don't know if they get the mice but I did get a whiff of the stuff once and it took 30 minutes before I stopped wheezing coughing and having my nose running like a fountain.

Those bombs really get the job done. Basement is 25x25', several rooms. Open all doors and set off two bombs.

Harry K

6. RaisedByWolves

RaisedByWolves Addicted to ArboristSite

I HATE THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!

We moved into our house last year and it was out first encounter with these:jawdrop: Psycho Crickets:jawdrop:

I The Fockers actually ATTACK you when you try to kill them. they can jump 2-3' and do so in a random way so you cant even predict where the bugger is going to jump next. But its usually right onto YOU!:dizzy:

I had the pleasure of killing about 300-400 of them in our first year here, so the only time I fear them anymore is when they come into the bedroom and by then the cats have usually slowed them down a bit.

Ugly, Smart, evil, carniverous/canabalistic, everything that gives insects a bad name all rolled up into one stinky critter.

Ultra, Thanks for the link. They dont seem so scary now that I know what they are....

If we get them again this year were calling an Exterminator.

7. 04ultra

04ultra "Out of Control"

When I saw Deans post I googled it to see what a spider cricket was. That was the link that showed the ugly little buggers..I would spray SEVIN,and every other kind of killer in that basement..

8. 12guns

12guns ArboristSite Operative

Dont' waste you time spraying inside. Find out how they get in, or where they live inside and stop the problem there. Does you basement have an access to a crawl space under your house, or is it all underground? check windows and any debris outside around your house. who knows you might just find the little bastards.

9. RaisedByWolves

Dont know about Dean, but I had them breeding in the basement walls. In winter and summer with last summer being the worst.

Tried ortho and it worked OK, mostly doped them up and kept them from jumping very well, much easier to hit with the broom though. Once I figured they were Breeding inside the walls, I started spraying it into the tops of the blocks that make up the walls and it made a huge difference in their numbers. If I see them at all now there pretty much done in before I even swat them.

The main problem was I didnt know what they were called and didnt have an internet connection in the house due to having to remodel so I couldnt even post pics to ask about them.

:clap: Thanks Dean for this excellent and timely thread.:clap:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

10. JamesReed

JamesReed ArboristSite Member

You will love this! I have some of those pests also in my basement starting in the spring. I also let my lab sleep every night in the basement. I believe her total mission at night when these things show up is to eliminate all she can find. She will chase them down and snap them right up. She will sit for minutes if one gets away(which is rare) in hopes they will show themselves again. She likes to eat most moths, grasshoppers and most any kind of bug except these. They must taste awful to her because she spits them all out immediately after she crushes them. If I am in the basement all I have to do is say, get it and point to where it is and the chase is on. My lab is fast as lightening and she will get 99% of them...some in mid air. I can understand why your 3 year old is scared of the jumping little creatures.

11. DeanBrown3D

Update

I wanted to bring this thread back up again as I have had some success. All I did was buy a couple of cans of the blue Raid flying insect killer (permethrin, tetramethrin, allethrins). I sprayed nearly a whole can all the way round the top corner of the basement (size 70x25'), non-stop in one sweeping action. Then once more along the french drain where it exists.

After a few days I went back down there. I saw about 30 spider crickets, all dead on the floor, and a bunch more in the drain. Not one single survivor. I also sprayed in my garage where it's next to the basement up top, and I sprayed some under the decking neat the house.

All are gone. That was a month ago and there are no signs of the little b'stards any more. And good ridence! I am reporting this because I would really hate anyone to have to live with these ugly buggers.

Cheers everyone.

Dean

12. RaisedByWolves

Good news Dean !!

We just had an exterminator out a few weeks ago and they gave us the highest application of permethrin allowed by law.

The only drawback was they crawled out of everywhere and promptly died.

The guy doing the application said to call a week before the warranty period expires (3 months) and they would do it again for free, no need to pay for the service plan.:D

Hope they stay gone for you.

13. coveredinsap

coveredinsap Banned

I can hardly believe that all these big, bad, chainsaw-weilding rugged types are so bothered by a little cricket.
    It's a cricket for christ's sake, not something from an 'Aliens' movie. The camel crickets are more of a nuisance than anything. Other than maybe chewing on fabric, they generally just eat other bugs and plant matter, not exactly anything to be worried about. They are simialr to cave crickets...drawn to moist dark places such as basements. If you want to get rid of them, then the solution is to remove their habitat, not continually hose them down with harmful chemicals...exposing your kids, family, and pets to poisons in the process. (i.e. If you solve the moisture problem in your basement, then the crickets will leave too.)

Click on the picture in the link to view the 'fact sheet' on how to deal with camel crickets.
    http://entweb.clemson.edu/cuentres/eiis/factshot/pages/CamelCrickets.htm

Again, I would think that the chemicals used to kill them would pose more harm to one's family than the crickets ever could. But whatever, it's your family....so its on you.

14. spacemule

spacemule The Peanut Gallery

What sap? You mean you wouldn't rather bathe in poison than be bitten by a little bug? :hmm3grin2orange:

15. RaisedByWolves

So Tell us dear one, What Harmful Poisons are we exposing our loved ones to?

While you try to figure out what the hell your talking about (Now its clear why your political views are so screwed up) Im going downstairs to fill my basement with dessicant.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, good job reposting info thats allready been offered.

You look smart.

16. coveredinsap

coveredinsap Banned

And with this post you made above, you look like an f'n idiot.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha!!! Crickets attack???? That has got to be one of the absolutely stupidist things I've ever heard of.

And...what "harmful poisons"? Yeah, sweet jesus....nevermind.

17. 04ultra

04ultra "Out of Control"

We need to catch the little buggers and send them to saps house ..

18. RaisedByWolves

Gee was it something I said?

I just wish he would make a simple coherent post so this could be a discussion instead of a, a, What is this exactly sap?

Whats your point if I may ask?:confused:

And I ask again, what harmful poisions? Permethrin?

Here, since you arent able to think rationaly right now, Ive done your homework for you.....

Heres how to get rid of crabs, may be of some use to you.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a698037.html

Heres another link showing you how to keep bugs off of your, Umm, crops Sap. Probably of some value to you also, nudge nudge, wink wink.:Eye:

http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/permethr.htm

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006