Helping a neighbor with an EAB ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
He said he didn't want to try this one and asked if I'd help. Time to play!

MVC-001S_1.JPG

Our neighbor had a larger ash tree that was taken out be EAB and he wanted it taken down. Power line on the backside. Pretty well balanced but a little towards the power line so decided to play it safe and brought the lift up

MVC-002S_6.JPG

Put a cable in it just to be sure.

MVC-003S.JPG

A couple old steel fence post for a dead man and put my notch in the tree.

MVC-004S_3.JPG

I told him when it comes down it was going to explode as it has been basically standing dead for over 2 years.

MVC-005S_3.JPG

Timber! Combo of wedges and cable to do a controlled fall.

MVC-001S_2.JPG

Most of the smaller limbs came off on their own but the 6 inch and up stayed. Started cutting it up but didn't have too much time.

MVC-002S_9.JPG

Large rounds here are 17 inches thick as that is what he wanted for his stove. Look skinny by the scale of the diameter.

MVC-003S_5.JPG

Got close on the one side of the hinge and a little wide in the center. I'm rusty. ;)

MVC-004S_5.JPG

After dropping it my neighbor said," Man, you sure made a mess for my wife to clean up!" I'm planning on cutting the stump and getting a large cookie off the bottom. See how it dries out as I may make a rustic table out of it.

Nice tree I wish I was still finding them that size here. Got a job lined up for 12 ash biggest is about 12" diameter. I might make a cord out of it all. At least they don't have all the limbs you had to deal with

LOL
Yep, it exploded, makes a mess for sure... I like to use the grass cutter to grind most of the small stuff into fertilizer :D
EAB ain't here yet, but it gets closer every day.

All I can say is get ready. Those bugs don't miss much and there are only 2 types of ash trees around here. Dead ones and soon to be dead ones. I don't sell wood but the market has been killed for those guys as there is wood everywhere. Trimmers are enjoying it as homeowners are paying to have them taken down but don't want the wood. You can drive around and see dead standing everywhere and piles of wood in peoples yards.

I've pulled 15 cord/yr the past 3 years out of my little woods here at home and only quit at that because that is all the indoor storage I have available. There is 1000's of cords that will just rot up because not many burn here and the volumes we are talking about. Such a shame.

MVC-001S_7.JPG

Saws made quick work of it.

MVC-002S_10.JPG

Just got the stump to cut yet. Next up is the splitting.

MVC-001S_10.JPG

Made one length cut for him on the stump and then cut a cookie. Cutting it with an 090 AV with a 4 ft bar.

MVC-002S_13.JPG

Saving a cookie for conversation piece and if it doesn't split out too bad maybe make a rustic table. I know, no chaps on here but all is well. I do wear ear plus all the time though.

MVC-003S_6.JPG

Only had a couple hours to split and we loaded it directly into his little pickup and then stacked. About a cord or more an hour.

MVC-004S_7.JPG

This cookie kind of fills up the bed.

MVC-005S_4.JPG

Said he's going to have them grind the stump. I told him to get a quote for 1 tree and see if they will bite ;)

MVC-006S_3.JPG

His pile is growing and we stacked 3 rows deep in spots.

MVC-007S_1.JPG

Even with a 4 ft bar it wasn't able to single cut it. Had about 6 inches more because of the flare at the bottom.

Wow! I knew the tree was big but looking at that cookie in the back of the truck sure puts things in their proper prospective. That puppy was a lot bigger than I thought. Our Ash around here are about half that size. More or less tall and thin like White Oaks. Good job Kevin.

And speaking of EAB, the park around the St Louis arch just cut down many hundreds of trees - all ash - because they were fearing the EAB. That park has got the mississippi river on one side, and the city of St. Louis on 3 other sides. I don't know how the EAB gets around, but I would think this would be a difficult park for them to access.
From what I heard, they are replanting new trees - mostly the same variety (maples, I think), which is another dumb idea. The proper way is to do no more than 10% of any single variety in the event that some big disease or bug doesn't wipe out the whole lot, like the EAB, Dutch Elm Disease, etc.

MVC-008S_1.JPG

Very solid tree and hated to see it die.

MVC-001S_11.JPG

This was a very healthy, fast growing tree at times. Some of the growth rings were 3/4"

MVC-001S_14.JPG

Finally quit raining and we were able to finish up the little dab we had left. the winch makes moving the bigger ones into position real easy. Dad and my neighbor are supervising. ;

MVC-002S_14.JPG

Pick them up from the back or sides and get them to size. We normally just back down the length of the tree when it is a big one.

MVC-003S_8.JPG

Into position and split off a chunk. Swing chunk and table out and split another off.

MVC-004S_8.JPG

Leave a hanger and you have enough storage that nothing hits the ground again till it is split. In this case, we were throwing it the back of his truck so it never hit the ground till stacked

MVC-005S_5.JPG

Found the piece we were looking for so we are done.

MVC-006S_4.JPG

He had moved the smaller stuff out as he said he could handle that with his smaller splitter. He didn't want to hold me up.

MVC-007S_2.JPG

Good little pile of wood and don't know for sure how much. I'm guessing 6 - 8. All I know is he is as happy as a lark!

He said he didn't want to try this one and asked if I'd help. Time to play!

MVC-001S_1.JPG

Our neighbor had a larger ash tree that was taken out be EAB and he wanted it taken down. Power line on the backside. Pretty well balanced but a little towards the power line so decided to play it safe and brought the lift up

MVC-002S_6.JPG

Put a cable in it just to be sure.

MVC-003S.JPG

A couple old steel fence post for a dead man and put my notch in the tree.

MVC-004S_3.JPG

I told him when it comes down it was going to explode as it has been basically standing dead for over 2 years.

MVC-005S_3.JPG

Timber! Combo of wedges and cable to do a controlled fall.

MVC-001S_2.JPG

Most of the smaller limbs came off on their own but the 6 inch and up stayed. Started cutting it up but didn't have too much time.

MVC-002S_9.JPG

Large rounds here are 17 inches thick as that is what he wanted for his stove. Look skinny by the scale of the diameter.

MVC-003S_5.JPG

Got close on the one side of the hinge and a little wide in the center. I'm rusty. ;)

MVC-004S_5.JPG

After dropping it my neighbor said," Man, you sure made a mess for my wife to clean up!" I'm planning on cutting the stump and getting a large cookie off the bottom. See how it dries out as I may make a rustic table out of it.
rustic table..... find someone with a steel strapping machine, and put a band around it TIGHT!! around the bark area... may have to change it once a week... should keep it from cracking like mad...........

Latest posts

Back