Helping a neighbor with an EAB ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emerald-Ash-Borer.jpg

They fly about, Learned the adults only eat the leaves and it is the larva that kills the tree. Researchers claim that the native wood peckers have now targeted the Ash Bore as a food source and may be slowing the spread of them.

All my large trees are dead but I have hundreds of thousands of seedlings at knee high now. Most of the Ash seeded like crazy during their last year.

:D Al

It's amazing how mother nature can adapt. Hope its true about the woodpeckers getting a taste for "Chinese food".
EAB brings back visions of my hometown Farmington ME, with streets lined with massive venerable trees wasting away from the effects of Dutch Elm disease.

Have any of you run into the problem of your chain not staying oiled while bucking up ash in the warmer months? This has happened to me a couple of summers ago and just yesterday. I noticed a buildup of dried oil on the B&C. I had to clean out the oil ports on my bar frequently to finish the job. To my knowledge it’s only happed while cutting up ash.

Plugging the oil passage on a bar is something you must check frequently. Once I start cutting I have not seen it plug up and much of what I have cut is ash.

Have any of you run into the problem of your chain not staying oiled while bucking up ash in the warmer months? This has happened to me a couple of summers ago and just yesterday. I noticed a buildup of dried oil on the B&C. I had to clean out the oil ports on my bar frequently to finish the job. To my knowledge it’s only happed while cutting up ash.

Haven't noticed any difference between species. At the end of the day, if I pull off a chain at the shop I always clean the bar completely before reinstalling. I also Have a galley hook in the saw bucket that I use when changing a chain in the field.

When sawing with a 3 or 4 ft bar you have to keep the revs up at the end of the cut or you'll get sawdust under the chain and that normally means taking it off to clear the nose out. Don't get that with smaller bars.

Here is a 60" fir that we fell with a 090 AV running a 60" bar. Due to all the sap, the bucking job went to the 090g with a 72" bar after the direct drive got stuck and had to be cut out. No such issues plagued the longer bar gear drive which cleared the sap riddled chips without issue.

20130908_165514_1.jpg

Nice saw! About 40 lbs with that bar???

I came across this one and it was in really good shape and used very little. Not as fast as the 660 but really shines in the bigger stuff as you know. Plus it's just plain fun. Mine came with a 4ft and I just picked up a new Stihl 3 ft bar for better balance.

MVC-024S_1.JPG

MVC-026S_1.JPG

MVC-023S_1.JPG

MVC-029S.JPG

Kevin, have you ever obtained any additional info on yor 090? If I recall didn't you have a post about this saw and the AV seemed to be rather unique?

I had gotten a knockoff a while back but this one is the real deal. Maybe that's what you were thinking of. The pics above are as I recieved it. I've gotten OEM spikes on it now.

Dead ash are very dangerous when they get that dry. We had a fellow cutting in a woods that is owned by the guy that leases my land for farming. He had a simple operation. He would cut paths and wheel the wood out with a wheelbarrow to his pickup. He would cut mostly blow downs. He cut this standing elm and it split and kicked back and killed him. I don't trust ash when I cut them on the farm. Always have a runway to get away and put plenty of distance between me and the tree. I also put a long cable on the tree and hook it to the tractor to pull it over, and put it where I want it.

So when you say knockoff...??Is it a china built replica or something someone else put together? Does it seem to cut alright or can you definatley tell it is not a genuine 090?

So when you say knockoff...??Is it a china built replica or something someone else put together? Does it seem to cut alright or can you definatley tell it is not a genuine 090?

China copy. They do use some oem parts on them though. It actually has the smaller .070 cylinder. I got my education after falling for this one. It was labeled as an 090. Actually a REAL 090G uses the smaller 070 cylinder too. Tell tale signs of a copy are torx fasteners, real ones did not have them

I cuts fine and I have had no problems so far. Not the same power for sure as the AV but I don't have a real 070 to compare it to.

I was talking to my dad the other day and I made reference to paying $700-$800 for some of my classes in college. You have to pay for education. You might just as well pay to learn about something you enjoy!

Dead ash are very dangerous when they get that dry. We had a fellow cutting in a woods that is owned by the guy that leases my land for farming. He had a simple operation. He would cut paths and wheel the wood out with a wheelbarrow to his pickup. He would cut mostly blow downs. He cut this standing elm and it split and kicked back and killed him. I don't trust ash when I cut them on the farm. Always have a runway to get away and put plenty of distance between me and the tree. I also put a long cable on the tree and hook it to the tractor to pull it over, and put it where I want it.

Any tree can be dangerous but I have to tell you, ash is probably one of the best I have dealt with as far as standing dead. It doesn't hollow out like a lot of trees do. Correct notching with a good hinge goes a long way as it does on any tree. Always leave yourself an escape route and clear your area to avoid blocks. I do wedge, cable or rope trees from time to time as well, it just depends on situations and what is needed to get the job done.

Latest posts

Back