Hemlock Milling, not at the beach!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After a long hiatus I am finally back to milling. Went to a buddy's place yesterday and milled up a hemlock log he wanted to use for a fireplace mantle etc.
IMG_0352.JPG

It had been sitting in his driveway for a while and he had finally been instructed to 'get that thing off the driveway'!

IMG_0353.JPG
It turns out yours truly didn't do a very good job of attaching the guide board as the slabs we cut had some twist in them.

IMG_0355.JPG
Buddy insisted on cutting 8.5" thick. Of course he couldn't move it! But he has plenty of meat there so he can remove the twist later. The thinner one is 5", we were able to get that into a dry spot in his garage using a dolly.

I hope to get back to the beach and do some milling this winter. The city has recently started dropping logs off at the log dump there, so there is a supply again. But, my wife sold her old Subaru that I was using as my 'wood truck' and apparently I am not allowed to use her new car as such. So I will need to get the transportation issue resolved before any serious milling can happen.

Here is a link to some pics from beach milling last year.

Dan

Back