Hemlock Woolly Adelgid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Edwards

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have used imidicloprid for years either spray or soil injection, mainly the latter. The problem I've had is after a spring or fall treatment the following July or August the hedge gets hit hard with mites. I'm wondering if there is something new to treat with as I have not kept up with it that would help with this problem.

I have used dormant oil and am not a fan of it. I use dimethoate to treat for mites and Adelgid is also listed on the label but it doesn't work great on the adelgid.

What are you guys using now and what would you recommend I change in my treatment?

Thanks for any help.

Just read something the other day suggesting that Imidacloprid can make mites worse... Will see if I can dig that back up later.

Not much will take out both, so it might just be a 2 treatment deal. Treat for HWA then target the mites morw specifically.

Dinotefuran also does well on hemlock wooly adelgid, but does not have as much residual. It is my understanding that imidacloprid is not necessary every year for HWA???

Trees don't seem to develope a mite problem after treatment like a hedge does. I guess the hedge is a better environment for the mites, almost like an umbrella to keep them dry.

It definitely has an influence on the mites I'm just not sure what it is. By July or August it seems every hedge I've treated will have mites in a big way.

The problem is that customers experiencing mites after an imidicloprid treatment are confused as they think the previous treatment should have killed all pests so they feel like they are being taken advantage of.

"What? You just treated our hedge and two months later your having to do it again? This is a money racket!"

Even though I tell them this could/probably will happen.

Thanks for the reply and I will check out the alternative you mentioned.

Maybe you need to quote that as part of the initial discussion. Let them know to expect it, but you will inspect and not charge them if you don't need to apply the treatment?

I forgot to answer your question regarding imidicloprid treatment frequency. It does not require a treatment every year. I just treated a hedge that hasn't been treated in seven years but have one hedge that gets treated very often and still can't clean it of the adelgid.

I do, always have but very very few seem to remember.
Can you afford to delay billing for the imidacloprid until after mite treatment time? Then you could either just send a single invoice with both treatments on it or just bill for the one treatment if that is all you applied? Just thinking of ways to smooth over the reaction of "you are billing us again for treating the same trees".

Latest posts

Back