Here Come the Thieves Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Live round concealed in a piece of split wood. Take a photo of the stack so you know which bit it is. When something goes bang at your neighbours one Winter's day, you'll have found your thief. If you never find them, at least they won't be back in a hurry.

Live round concealed in a piece of split wood. Take a photo of the stack so you know which bit it is. When something goes bang at your neighbours one Winter's day, you'll have found your thief. If you never find them, at least they won't be back in a hurry.
That would work well if you owned the only local weld shop...guy brings in a stove that needs a bullet hole welded up (with hole from inside out)...gotcha! :happybanana::laughing:

Kinda sorta on topic, guy at work was telling me about his college buddy the other day...guy gets a box of .22 shells with a few duds...dude gets drunk one night and throws the duds in the campfire...bang! ziiing! bang! ziiing! bang! ziiing! :crazy2:

MANY years ago someone was stealing gas from us, pretty much every Friday night when we would go away... Well, my older brother hid a ways away, and about an hour after the rest of us left, someone came sneaking in with a gas can.

Long story short, my brother shot him a couple times with a 12ga. and bird shot (in the back) and after the word got around, we never lost anything since...

It was winter so the guy (trashy neighbor's thieving oldest son from a different husband) had a heavy coat on, so although the shot went into his back, through the grape vine we heard that his mother dug it all out... lol

No one called the cops and life went on...

Try THAT one today!! lol

SR

Kinda sorta on topic, guy at work was telling me about his college buddy the other day...guy gets a box of .22 shells with a few duds...dude gets drunk one night and throws the duds in the campfire...bang! ziiing! bang! ziiing! bang! ziiing!

I've thrown 22 LR's in a fire MANY times, not much of a bang at all, and not much of a zing either...

SR

Try THAT one today!!
But...but...you might hurt someone or at least their feelings or second cousins husband's third daughter twice removed's feelings. You bad, bad person.

And doggamit, this is the USA and you could be sued or jailed or somefink.

I've thrown 22 LR's in a fire MANY times, not much of a bang at all, and not much of a zing either...

SR
Yah, I dunno, never tried it, just passing on a story I was told.
I could believe that it wouldn't zing too much just cause of no barrel to concentrate/direct the pressure...but I still wouldn't try it while standing near the fire.
I have .22 bird shot in my leg because as it turns out, when you hit a "dud" shell with a hammer, they can explode in any direction they want. Stupid teenagers... :crazy2: :dumb2: o_O

more than one way to skin a cat! eh??....

some good suggestions here. creative!

You could put a trip wire across the road that would alert you to entry then sneak over there and park in the way.
Only problem a feller could get shot blocking their exit.
Some years back a rancher not far from here was out in his yard talking with family members, when they noticed a truck stopped on the roadside by his pasture. He leaves the family in the yard and drives down the road to see what's up. 3 men from a nearby town was standing over a calf cutting off its hindquarters. The rancher runs across the pasture towards the men, and the one with a .22 rifle shoots him several times drt. They jump in their truck and leave. Several days later they were caught.

Yah, I dunno, never tried it, just passing on a story I was told.
I could believe that it wouldn't zing too much just cause of no barrel to concentrate/direct the pressure...but I still wouldn't try it while standing near the fire.
I have .22 bird shot in my leg because as it turns out, when you hit a "dud" shell with a hammer, they can explode in any direction they want. Stupid teenagers... :crazy2: :dumb2: o_O

Rounds in a stove are safe except for being startled by the "bang". Rounds in an open fire can cause injury but in all cases it will be from the case or parts thereof.

Only problem a feller could get shot blocking their exit.
Some years back a rancher not far from here was out in his yard talking with family members, when they noticed a truck stopped on the roadside by his pasture. He leaves the family in the yard and drives down the road to see what's up. 3 men from a nearby town was standing over a calf cutting off its hindquarters. The rancher runs across the pasture towards the men, and the one with a .22 rifle shoots him several times drt. They jump in their truck and leave. Several days later they were caught.

We farmed on a mountain ridge in N Idaho. Neighbors had losst cattle to people jack ligting deer. Late evening and we saw a car coming down the road running a spot light. Strangers didn't know they were on a dead end road with a turnaround about 1/2 mile past our entry. When they came back there were me, my brother and dad all standing across the road with rifles. "Freindly discussion" resulted in a promise never, ever to be seen on that ridge again.

Kinda sorta on topic, guy at work was telling me about his college buddy the other day...guy gets a box of .22 shells with a few duds...dude gets drunk one night and throws the duds in the campfire...bang! ziiing! bang! ziiing! bang! ziiing! :crazy2:

It just makes noise. I've done it many times. Without a barrel or anything holding the case even, a bullet has very little power.

This is the driveway alert I have and it works every time, even the lawn mower sets it off.There is also a place to hook up a light or siren.
Dakota Alert Wired Vehicle Detection Kit

Here you guys are suggesting ways to protect a fellas wood pile and he has no interest in putting any effort into doing the right thing him self. What does he have to hide from the law?

"Good comments from all. Please keep them coming. Cameras mean getting the law involved. I'd like to avoid that. However, a close friend said, "First they steal the split firewood. Next they haul away your log splitter."

I have no trespassing signs on both sides of my 400 foot drive way and all around my property. I have no problem calling the law because I have nothing to hide, I just don't like people tramping on my property. Church pukes and politicians are the worst, think the no trespassing signs don't mean them. Only took pressing charges on one church group to stop all them from trying to take up my time.

Also keep in mind if the sheriffs deputy comes to a trespassing call and refuses to run the trespasser off with a ticket you can file a complaint with the procuter.

We have a wire less drive way alarm to and seems people like turning around in our drive way so we had to move it deeper down the 400 foot long drive way.

Isn't going to be any shooting any one. I don't want to go to jail. Michigan also has laws about setting up bobby traps.

:D Al

Latest posts

Back