Here is part # for an oversized bar stud for stihl MS 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There is an oversized bar stud for the MS390. It is P/N 1127-664-2410
and can be purchased from your local STIHL dealer. I thought this may help someone who may have stripped out the threads inside their saw like I did.

Just an update. The tech advisor guy at Stihl said that you were not supposed to rethread the inside of the saw before installing the oversized stud. I used the two nut method to sink the bar stud. Also you would need to use loctite on the stud and give it 24 hours to cure. He said it didn't matter if you used red or blue. I used red. After repairing and curing, I used the saw all day long yesterday without any problems.

bar studs

mine is not stipped in the housing, but the threads where the nut screws on are pulled..Did you find a parts schematic online?

Burke, how do you like the 390? What did you have before to compare it to?

I will be getting something newish soon, and I am not sure the 390 is big enough for me.

I want to get a 441 with 28 and 20" bars, but may have to be more practical and just suffer with less HP for budgetary reasons.....

update...ordered regular replacement studs since the threads in my housing are OK. only ones bad are where the bar nuts screw on...will save the oversize stuff in case I strip the threads inside the housing.

Burke, how do you like the 390? What did you have before to compare it to?

I will be getting something newish soon, and I am not sure the 390 is big enough for me.

I want to get a 441 with 28 and 20" bars, but may have to be more practical and just suffer with less HP for budgetary reasons.....

My 390 works alright. I have had it for several years and just last year I cut around 12 cords of wood with it. I too would like to get a bigger saw, but the price is what has kept from from doing so. So i will just have to settle with what I have.
When I bought my 390, it was used but I bought it from a stihl dealer who made sure everything was working fine before selling it. I am happy with it.

image.jpg
There is an oversized bar stud for the MS390. It is P/N 1127-664-2410
and can be purchased from your local STIHL dealer. I thought this may help someone who may have stripped out the threads inside their saw like I did.
Does anyone know if this part number would be the same for a ms361? Just bought this used saw and noticed the threads are stripped in the casing (front bar stud). Anyone try JB Weld for a fix??

Back