HEY BOB! What's steel, sharp. . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nate here is your action shot.View attachment 299826
I need to work on my springboard notch some. I'm thinking their is an art to putting them in.:msp_unsure:

Awesome! :msp_thumbup:

If you're on FB, we should friend each other so I can share that shot on my wall and a couple logger groups. :cheers:

I feel ya on the notch thing, I've never cut one in. I reckon a guy wants it at a slight downward angle though, to allow it to settle into near level.

Ok boss, I'll give it a try.Thanks:msp_biggrin:

Forgot to add...use what they call boiled linseed oil. Several light coats, letting it dry thoroughly between coats. That's all I remember about how they were treated. There might also be better methods...this one falls into the "that's how we used to do it" category.

We had some Italian guys who swore by using olive oil but I never found out how that worked out for them.

linseed oil is good stuff, doesn't really darken right away though that come mostly with use... you could put some light stain on first and then rub it down with linseed oil.

I still use linseed oil on my axe handles and shovels etc. Also make a good protective layer on steel and bits that get rusty, just let it dry overnight.

You can also thin it down with either paint thinner or lighter fluid makes it seep into the wood deeper and faster and drys quicker.

Or just soak the damn thing in bar oil... the cheap red stuff...

One of the new boards for the 1/4 sawn spring boards. Found the tree in the bottom of a draw and milled the boards in place. View attachment 300772
View attachment 300771
Any idea on how they put the dark finish on the springboards in this thread?

That's some gorgeous wood!! :msp_thumbsup:

There are many finishes for wood, all of the suggestions so far will work great, even olive oil.

For all my tool handles, I tried Western Family Canola Oil (in the can) a few years ago. By God, it work pretty dang good! Lasts a full season before a guy has to give her another squirt, and that's with a tool left in the weather for 12 months. If the wood is too dry and checked, you have to spray it multiple times to really soak it. It does darken the wood as well.

Canola is rapeseed oil, I've found most seed oils will work -- even grapeseed. Grapeseed is more expensive though. If you want to not buy the $2.00 cans of spray, I imagine you could buy the gallon stuff and thin it with a good "carrier" (like Naptha or Lacquer thinner), and give it a few coats.

Rapeseed and the others aren't what I would call a true drying oil, but the spray can stuff actually dries pretty good to the touch, and isn't sticky.
Drying oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to go with a 'commercial' coating -- it's hard to beat Penofin Blue label: Blue Label Penofin | Penofin Penetrating Oil Finishes and Wood Stain

Made from Brazilian Rosewood Oil. :)

Will, got a guy in a FB group asking what saw you're using in this picture. Spill dah beans! LOL
Nate, my Mastermind 562xp. The rest of the tree was done with a Monkeyed 390xp with a 33" tsumara light weight bar.. The 562 is just a fun saw to run.:hmm3grin2orange:

Anyone named Bob mount some shoes on a flat stick yet?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

You just had to ask, didn't you. No, not yet. I have the boards but every time I start to fit them up something else comes along and they get pushed to the back of the work bench. Give me some time and I'll think up some other good excuses. I gave one of them away. Farley9N's son in law wanted one so I shipped it out.

I keep looking at fir logs when i run the chainsaw mill ,have not come across any i have been happy enough to make nice springboards with yet ,grains not tight enough on stuff i been finding

You just had to ask, didn't you. No, not yet. I have the boards but every time I start to fit them up something else comes along and they get pushed to the back of the work bench. Give me some time and I'll think up some other good excuses. I gave one of them away. Farley9N's son in law wanted one so I shipped it out.
Sure Bob, use all the excuses I come up with. :laugh:

Hope his SIL gets some good use out'a it! How did he see one of'em? Is he a member?

I keep looking at fir logs when i run the chainsaw mill ,have not come across any i have been happy enough to make nice springboards with yet ,grains not tight enough on stuff i been finding

Brian, if you want tight grain fir, you're going to have to import it from Montucky pard. :D

Sure Bob, use all the excuses I come up with. :laugh:

Hope his SIL gets some good use out'a it! How did he see one of'em? Is he a member?

He saw the thread when we were chasing that first shipment around the Pacific Rim. I don't think he's a member but he ought to be. Heck of a good guy.

Back