Hey dad, can you look at my friends saw? It's not cutting very well...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5/32 file for that little guy.

Sorry, but I have to disagree

I have 5/32 setup for my MS-210 with 3/8" Pico chain

This is smaller

From what I can read in Stihl downloads the regular 1/4" uses the 5/32 file but the 1/4" Pico uses 1/8" (3.2 mm)

Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 6.47.14 AM.png

The 5/32 won't even fit in the gullet of this chain

Depth gauge is different too

Rakers should be .018 instead of .026

From what I am reading and seeing this chain was discontinued long ago

Lots of negative because of the difficulty of sharpening among other issues

Thanks

Michael

If you are asking me where I am in Alaska; North Peters Creek specifically

Where in New Mexico?

Grew up in El Paso, NM was home to most of my kin and my stomping grounds, lived in Las Vegas in the 80s

Michael

Albuquerque. I've done a lot of work in Las Vegas, I had a friend from there good food and a cool old mountain town.

One of these days I'll get up to Alaska I've always wanted to see it

Albuquerque. I've done a lot of work in Las Vegas, I had a friend from there good food and a cool old mountain town.

One of these days I'll get up to Alaska I've always wanted to see it

My wife's brother lives in Albuquerque

My sister lives in Santa Fe

If you come up this way drop me a line

Michael

Sorry, but I have to disagree

I have 5/32 setup for my MS-210 with 3/8" Pico chain

This is smaller

From what I can read in Stihl downloads the regular 1/4" uses the 5/32 file but the 1/4" Pico uses 1/8" (3.2 mm)

View attachment 438864

The 5/32 won't even fit in the gullet of this chain

Depth gauge is different too

Rakers should be .018 instead of .026

From what I am reading and seeing this chain was discontinued long ago

Lots of negative because of the difficulty of sharpening among other issues

Thanks

Michael
I am surprised to see that. I haven't seen 1/4" picco on a saw up here yet, most are .043 3/8 picco on the smaller saws. What's weird is that what I can see of the bar in your first picture is that is says 14" with 50 drivers... that is a 3/8 picco count, not 1/4. Are you absolutely certain that is the correct chain for that bar? Can you get a better picture of the pictogram on the bar?

Also, the picco chain on your 210 is likely .050 driver 3/8 picco. The .043 3/8 Picco will look smaller. If it says "1" on the driver, and "6" on the cutter, you have .043 Picco and it takes a 5/32 file. Often times it's tough to get those files into the tooth the first time you sharpen with them, especially if the cutter has been hammered over a little.

I am surprised to see that. I haven't seen 1/4" picco on a saw up here yet, most are .043 3/8 picco on the smaller saws. What's weird is that what I can see of the bar in your first picture is that is says 14" with 50 drivers... that is a 3/8 picco count, not 1/4. Are you absolutely certain that is the correct chain for that bar? Can you get a better picture of the pictogram on the bar?

Also, the picco chain on your 210 is likely .050 driver 3/8 picco. The .043 3/8 Picco will look smaller. If it says "1" on the driver, and "6" on the cutter, you have .043 Picco and it takes a 5/32 file. Often times it's tough to get those files into the tooth the first time you sharpen with them, especially if the cutter has been hammered over a little.

I will look closer later today IF my son cleans it up

I told him I wasn't touching it until he did

Since its not my saw I have no clue of the history or any prior care/maintenance

My son mentioned yesterday that another "friend" of the saw's owner actually mounted the chain backwards before they headed out

No telling what SHOULD be on there

Thanks for the info and I will let you know what I find

Michael

I should have known better than to argue with a Stihl dealer

LOL

Yup, 6 on the cutter and 1 on the driver

Yeah, that 5/32 file is going to be a TIGHT fit on the first sharpening

I got tired of waiting for my son to clean it up and jumped in this morning

OMG

There was grass wound around the end of the crankshaft BEHIND the clutch retaining washer and bearing!!

I have no idea and don't want to know

It just reinforces my "no you can't borrow it so don't ask" policy

Now if I can outsmart the air filter I might try starting it

There is a smidgen of oil in the BC oil tank but the chain is bone dry so the oiler is highly suspect

Also, there was only one screw holding the bar onto what I will call the ratchet

IMG_1997.JPG

I am thinking I better replace that before starting this thing up

Thoughts on that?

Thanks

Michael

There is only supposed to be one screw on that, so you're good to go. Honestly, I have seen lots of saws worse than this. Pop off the clip holding on the clutch drum and remove it. Clean out all the stuff, grease the clutch bearing, and reassemble. Put bar oil in it and start the saw without the side cover or bar. Running the saw at 1/2 throttle you should see oil coming out of the oiler hole within 30 seconds. They don't put out much, so a small slow stream is about right. The oilers on the small Stihl saws are pretty tough and they rarely fail. If the saw doesn't pump oil you will need to remove the clutch. It is reverse threaded and you need to use the correct piston stop to remove it. I like to use CRC Brakleen and compressed air to clean saws up.

BTW, a saw run like that in the water, particularly an MS180, will not show any oil on the chain. It simply washes off.

There is only supposed to be one screw on that, so you're good to go. Honestly, I have seen lots of saws worse than this. Pop off the clip holding on the clutch drum and remove it. Clean out all the stuff, grease the clutch bearing, and reassemble. Put bar oil in it and start the saw without the side cover or bar. Running the saw at 1/2 throttle you should see oil coming out of the oiler hole within 30 seconds. They don't put out much, so a small slow stream is about right. The oilers on the small Stihl saws are pretty tough and they rarely fail. If the saw doesn't pump oil you will need to remove the clutch. It is reverse threaded and you need to use the correct piston stop to remove it. I like to use CRC Brakleen and compressed air to clean saws up.

OK

Ran it without the bar while waiting to hear back and got some oil flow so you were correct on that point too

I pulled the clutch drum and cleaned everything and lubed the roller bearing

Got it all back together, cleaned the air filter, hit the chain a few strokes and fired it up

Took a few tries to get it to idle reliably but it finally settled down

Thanks again for the help

Michael

Glad you got it going. They get a lot of bad press around here, but those little 180's are actually pretty tough.

Latest posts

Back