Hey Professional Firewood Dealers Using a Super Splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a conveyor for you.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/homemade-conveyor-and-wood-boiler.128039/[/QUOTE]

:drinkingcoffee:I saw that electric truck in an old thread a while back.

I wasn't looking to buy a conveyor when I ran across mine used. Afterwards, I thought of it as an impulse buy. Especially when I started piling wood and it began to mold. Now I would be hard pressed to be without it. I could get by with a shorter one. If it had the radial stacking axle, I could use it with the PackFix, and load a truck. Then roll it back to the same spot it was to load the PackFix. There is a sweet spot to loading the PackFix where all sides of the drum fill equally.

I ran a Super Split for 3 and a half years until it was taken doing several hundred cords per year plus bundles and kindling. In that time I spent $50 on maintenance for the machine. Belts lasted over 3 years before I replaced them. Replaced a couple of bolts I lost and oil and spark plugs for the motor. I had the Subaru engine and loved it. I would get 4 plus cords per gallon of gas. The savings over a hydraulic with filters, hydraulic fluid, blown hoses and fuel economy paid for the machine. Customers preferred wood split with the super split over hydraulic. It split green much better than hydraulic and with 3 guys I could do a cord under 20 minutes. If you are doing a lot of wood without a processor the super split is the way to go for your bottom line.

I first saw a Super Split 16 years ago at the largest firewood producer in this area.
I knew then I had to have one. 10 years later I had the $ to get one. Love it!

If you can fab stuff watch your local auctions and craigslist for department stores closing and such. I made my own conveyor from one I got at a local closing Kmart. Most all of them had storage lofts in the back of the stores and used conveyors. It's electric with forward and reverse. I added other stuff to mine and made it adustable. A simple up down is pretty straightforward. Just an option for you to consider.

MVC-010S.JPG

MVC-007S_7.JPG

MVC-005S_33.JPG

MVC-012S_8.JPG

MVC-011S_16.JPG

MVC-010S_14.JPG

MVC-007S_26.JPG

Here's the whole build to give you some possible ideas.

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/conveyor?n=0&z=2&c=4&x=0&m=24&w=0&p=0

fireemt799 We have about 10 different split sorts. That's what I figured with the ss, that you have a lot better control over split sizes. Once your customers are used to something, its hard to change that. Right now using a single wedge, it's slow, but you have good control over split sizing.

Sandhill -- My brother and I are "jonesing" to build a conveyor on a worn out mini excavator!!! We got the idea from Parker on Gold Rush. He has a guy building a 120' overburden conveyor on a 300 series excavator. I will get back with a picture. You could adjust height, spin in a radius without moving the tracks, or stack in windrows walking the machine perpendicular to the wood pile. I would be the envy of the firewood world.....

T.Mainus -- I agree with you on the ABS (Automated Biomass Systems) conveyors. Nice machine at a more reasonable price. I made drawings and a materials list for building the 40' model and you are at $6k really quick. I have 30 or so pictures from Paul Bunyon this year on the 32' and 40' "autoconvey". The auto fine was pretty interesting too. There alternative to a tumbler, I would say. I don't know about what kind of volume that it could handle. A little side story--we asked a rep from ABS for prices and he said "I think its $6k for the 32' and $8k for the 40'. I wanted to write him a check, on the spot and pull it away by hand......20161008_112306.jpg 20161008_112315.jpg 20161008_112728.jpg 20161008_112223.jpg 20161008_112209.jpg

I pulled this from a google search. The only pictures I could find about the Discovery channel show weren't very clear. It would be quite an investment but could have quite a few more uses. This one looks geared for dirt or concrete/aggregate. Obviously missing the belt. And the counterweight relocation and extra stabilizers would be overkill for my operation. I was thinking 40' or maybe 50. Flat, 2' wide, maybe 32". Curved rollers would be sweet. I know mini's, worn out or not, aren't cheap either. I'll keep dreaming.....

ship_excavator-4-conveyor_excavator.jpg

Just picked up a 20ft. single chain cardinal aluminum conveyor $220. Came with electric motor, running gear and winch height adjustment. Just have to mount the motor and see how it works. I would like to build a new hopper, may convert to gas if it works out [no power at wood yard], or leave elec. and combine with elec. supersplit.

Latest posts

Back