Hey y'all ! 272xp question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFM

jack of all trades...master of none
Reaction score
Hey everybody got a new 272xp project saw that I'm starting for a friend. Now I know I've read here somewhere a few years back about a stihl piston being used in this chasis. For the life of me I cant find the thread again. Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this.... pros cons outcomes and so on. Thanks in advance guys... really looking forward to this build. I'll bring along pics and such when she comes out of the hot tank. first time using degree wheel, on saw anyway. Cant freakin wait! :yes:

Hey everybody got a new 272xp project saw that I'm starting for a friend. Now I know I've read here somewhere a few years back about a stihl piston being used in this chasis. For the life of me I cant find the thread again. Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this.... pros cons outcomes and so on. Thanks in advance guys... really looking forward to this build. I'll bring along pics and such when she comes out of the hot tank. first time using degree wheel, on saw anyway. Cant freakin wait! :yes:
Question: why not put a aftermarket nikasil cylinder/piston in it?

good question. i know there were a few stihls w 52mm bore, seems like if there was one that would work it would probably be an 046 piston. dont quote me on that though....safer to just get a meteor piston and run original cylinder (if available)

Question: why not put a aftermarket nikasil cylinder/piston in it?
I could... though I plan on bringing the squish in to more favorable specs. I thought it may be easier, and different, to use a taller piston for another saw/mfg. I do have a lathe and a bridgeport mill if all else fails.

good question. i know there were a few stihls w 52mm bore, seems like if there was one that would work it would probably be an 046 piston. dont quote me on that though....safer to just get a meteor piston and run original cylinder (if available)
Oem cylinder and piston met straight gas heavy hand..... past owner was kind of a brute/idiot

upon further investigation, it would appear that an 046 piston will work on an 272xp. Best to keep digging though.

For some reason it seems like I heard of people running 064 pistons in 372XPW's?

Joe

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Guess I'll start doing some reading on the 046 swap.

upon further investigation, it would appear that an 046 piston will work on an 272xp. Best to keep digging though.
I can't seem to get any results using the search box for 046 piston/272xp.... Any hints? Lol

When you do your search type in both spellings, husky or husqvarna. There are also addition similar threads at the bottom of every other thread. You could also try to google it.
John

now that i think about it it seems like you guys are right on 064 piston. and good call on jacobj or scarr52, those two know a whole lot more about this than I

Back