HF Chain Grinder Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 511ax but still. Use the old orange HF grinder for 3/8 lp chain. The grinding wheel is right and it works fine, if you know what you are doing. I actually is the slop in the hinge to kiss the tooth and only take off as much material as needed.
Great detailed thread as always Philbert:numberone:

My experience with the HF Grinder has been very positive. Bought the grinder a long time ago. I cut lots of firewood, mostly hedge and
locust. This grinder has saved me hundreds of dollars. The grinder switch quit on me last spring. I took it apart and the switch was packed
full of filings, Cleaned all the filings out of the switch and it works great. I also do a lot of sharpening of chains for neighbors, friends
and my 4 chainsaws. Does a great job with no complaints.

Attachments

• chain sharpener.JPG
    chain sharpener.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 53
One last thing missing in your work up!

How did the chain cut?

But otherwise great work as usual!!! :clap::clap::clap:

OK comments on the 'side pivot' (grinder head pivots from the side of the chain) versus the 'front pivot' (grinder head pivots from the front of the cutters - anybody have better terms to distinguish these) styles of grinders?

7sleeper, it sounds like you have experience with both?

There are several versions of each style grinder, and they sell in the same, general price range. Assuming that the quality of construction is the same, is one style easier to use, do you get better results, more flexibility, convenience of operation, increased visibility, consistency, etc., with one or the other?

Thanks.

Philbert

Screen shot 2014-12-20 at 1.14.49 PM.png 'Side Pivot' Screen shot 2014-12-20 at 1.16.07 PM.png 'Front Pivot'

I contacted HF and asked them if they could consider selling their 'old' style grinder/sharpener again, and a 3/16" grinding wheel for larger pitch chain. They said that they would pass my suggestion on to their Product Management Team.

Philbert

OK comments on the 'hinged' versus the 'tilt/pivot' (anybody have better terms to distinguish these) styles of grinders?

7sleeper, it sounds like you have experience with both?

There are several versions of each style grinder, and they sell in the same, general price range. Assuming that the quality of construction is the same, is one style easier to use, do you get better results, more flexibility, convenience of operation, increased visibility, consistency, etc., with one or the other?

Thanks.

Philbert

View attachment 388207 View attachment 388208
Hey Philbert,

Sorry don't have any experience with the model on the right side. Only with the HF model and an advanced version with a aluminum bottom part and led lamp. But still the turn table is the same plastic.
I believe I mentioned above that the "full" plastice version is more "flexible" which can be used to it's advantage. For me grinding results are the same in daily use.

Thanks. It is hard to tell from the photographs if parts are made from metal or plastic. I have been fooled both ways! Clearly, there are several 'versions' or models of these grinders that look similar, and may be built to different quality levels. A 'good' plastic product may be better than a 'bad' metal one.

The HF grinders operate in a similar manner to the Oregon/Tecomec/etc. grinders, there the grinding wheel is in line with the top plate cutting edge. Using the correct thickness wheel, it appears that you can get edges profiled similar to using a round file.

The wheels on the other style grinders meet the top plate in a arc that is perpendicular to this cutting edge. It would almost seem like you would get a very slight curve to the top plate cutting edge with these.

I suppose that both work (?). Curious to hear from people who have used the second style grinders. I have never tried these.

Philbert

. . .

The wheels on the other style grinders meet the top plate in a arc that is perpendicular to this cutting edge. It would almost seem like you would get a very slight curve to the top plate cutting edge with these.

I suppose that both work (?). Curious to hear fro.m people who have used the second style grinders. I have never tried these.

philbert

I was looking at that green thing. Looks like a little whittling and a slide or linear bearing and I might be on the way to something to square grind with, or not. Can't find it available but found one similar, maybe better for around a hunnert shipped. Maybe I could build a two hundred dollar square grinder, . . . or not!

Hu

I was looking at that green thing. Looks like a little whittling and a slide or linear bearing and I might be on the way to something to square grind with, or not.

That's what I was thinking. The 'better' ones have a metal vise and higher wattage motors. If the motor was removed from the base plate and repositioned, and the vise was mounted on a slide . . . . poor man's square grind!

Philbert

That's what I was thinking. The 'better' ones have a metal vise and higher wattage motors. If the motor was removed from the base plate and repositioned, and the vise was mounted on a slide . . . . poor man's square grind!

Philbert

Prolly best we keeps on think'n, thas whut we good at!!

Hu

First Try with 3/16 Inch Grinding Wheel

Ordered some 3/16" grinding wheels. Still waiting for them. Then I saw this one on clearance at NT. Along with an extra 50% off, it was 70 cents. 70 cents! What could be more appropriate for a HF grinder from the 'Xmas Giving' thread than a 70 cent grinding wheel!?

Same 7/8" bore. Slightly smaller 4" diameter instead of 4-1/4" - that's OK. Speed rated at 11,460 RPM for 4,200 RPM grinder (HF wheel is rated for 7,270 RPM). For a different chain grinder.

photo 19.jpg

Seems to fit. Smaller diameter should clear. Threaded knob on arbor (not shown) fits OK. Wheel clears guard/cover when turned manually. Time to try it!

photo 20.jpg

Found MOST of the pieces!!! Took a little bit of hunting around the room.

photo 21.jpg

The wheel exploded right after I touched the switch - before it got anywhere near up to speed. YES, GUARDS MATTER!!

Might have been a defective wheel (too late to do a 'ring test')? There were no wear marks or scrapes under the guard to indicate that the wheel or the arbor nut were rubbing. Will try again when the other wheels arrive, but I will be standing at the side!

Not sure how long these little sheet metal screws that secure the guard will keep holding in the plastic if removed and replaced often. Can't drill through and use nuts if they do, will just have to keep using larger or longer screws.

Let's be careful out there!

Lets Be Careful Out There.jpg

Philbert

First Try with 3/16 Inch Grinding Wheel

Ordered some 3/16" grinding wheels. Still waiting for them. Then I saw this one on clearance at NT. Along with an extra 50% off, it was 70 cents. 70 cents! What could be more appropriate for a HF grinder from the 'Xmas Giving' thread than a 70 cent grinding wheel!?

Same 7/8" bore. Slightly smaller 4" diameter instead of 4-1/4" - that's OK. Speed rated at 11,460 RPM for 4,200 RPM grinder (HF wheel is rated for 7,270 RPM). For a different chain grinder.

View attachment 389055

Seems to fit. Smaller diameter should clear. Threaded knob on arbor (not shown) fits OK. Wheel clears guard/cover when turned manually. Time to try it!

View attachment 389058

Found MOST of the pieces!!! Took a little bit of hunting around the room.

View attachment 389059

The wheel exploded right after I touched the switch - before it got anywhere near up to speed. YES, GUARDS MATTER!!

Might have been a defective wheel (too late to do a 'ring test')? There were no wear marks or scrapes under the guard to indicate that the wheel or the arbor nut were rubbing. Will try again when the other wheels arrive, but I will be standing at the side!

Not sure how long these little sheet metal screws that secure the guard will keep holding in the plastic if removed and replaced often. Can't drill through and use nuts if they do, will just have to keep using larger or longer screws.

Let's be careful out there!

View attachment 389065

Philbert

Yes. Let's.

My favorite character from Hill Street Blues!

Front Pivot Grinder Instructional Videos
From YouTube. ***Again, not endorsing any specific grinder, vendor, or techniques! But interesting to compare.***

Note 'mods' to 'cheap' grinder right off the bat!

Note clamping of each tooth with the side knob. Some of these grinders sandwich the drive links between 2 plates, with spacing controlled by the knob. Some just fix the drive link between one plate and the bottom of the threaded knob.

'Quick Feed Sharpener ' Spring holds cutter in position, interesting feed mechanism, but note flex as chain advances.

Auto advance! If this design could be made so that it sharpens precisely and reliably, the user could really process a lot of chains!
I would call this the 'Franzen Killer' (in honor of the $20,000 automatic sharpener - see posts below)!
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/anybody-use-an-automatic-chain-sharpener.172678/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mr-franzen-the-chainsaw-world-wants-to-meet-you.79224/

Philbert

I Blame It On 7Sleeper

This whole thread. And how much I have spent on 'cheap' grinders!

Anyway, no one has commented on the 'Front Pivot' style grinders, and there have been millions sold. And, a local chain store (no pun intended - folks in the Midwest know it as the place where you save BIG money) has some on clearance. AND, they have a 15%-off-everything-you-can-fit-in-a-bag sale going on. Which brought this down to about $25. Which fits into the description of a 'cheap grinder'.

photo 22.jpg
photo 23.jpg

Base is thin, cast metal, that almost feels like plastic (?). 3,000 RPM, 130 watts. They are replacing it with another brand and model that spins at 5,600 RPM, 85 watts. It came with an extra wheel; hex wrenches for the various fasteners; a wrench for the grinding wheel arbor nut; and even mounting bolts, nuts, and washers.

This one only uses an 1/8 inch wheel, and has a smaller diameter arbor hole (25/64, 10mm?), so it's a less universal size wheel. I am thinking that the thickness of the grinding wheel for different pitch chains is less important on this type of grinder because it 'scoops' the edge of the cutter from the front, rather than profiling it from the side?

I will play with it next week. As before, the videos above are more helpful than the Manual.

Philbert

*EDIT: just saw this on eBay for $159.99! That might make it work better than putting a Silvey sticker on it!

Attachments

• photo 24.jpg
    photo 24.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 13
Some interesting observations on this new grinder. Apparently, it was private labeled for this chain of stores, because it references their name on the box, and in the owner's manual. However, the manual also references Harbor Freight (so it definitely belongs in this thread!) for replacement wheels. My guess is that it is sold under many different brand names.

The manual specs a 7/8 inch arbor size for the grinding wheels (they are 25/64", 10mm). It uses several photos of the older style, HF, 'Side Pivot' grinder to illustrate use of knobs that don't exist, or are totally different, on this grinder. Most of the photos and illustrations are so small that they are difficult to see. Fortunately, I was able to download a PDF version, which I could enlarge on the computer screen.

No wonder no one reads the owner's manuals! Good thing for YouTube videos - otherwise, I would not be sure how to mount it!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back