Hi, I am ???? and I am a firewood addict

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Admiting these things is supposed to help is it not? So here ya go

We have wood cut a split to last into 2011,, at least.
Woodshed 1 is full
Woodshed 2 built for overflow from 1 is full
Wood is stacked in woods
Wood is stacked outside of sheds.
Yard needs cleaned up
Wife and I havent done much together for a few months
Truck is overdue for service
Pretty decent auction nearby tomorrow
Oldest son is home from college for the weekend, havent sen him for three months.

So what am I doing Saturday??

Cutting firewood with my sons!! Yeah!!:greenchainsaw:

When you get 3 years ahead then I might call you an addict...:)

Actually I'm just putting the finishing touches on my third year stack...:) Combo of Pin Oak/Red Oak.

And cutting is fun, do it whenever the wife will let me leave the house for a few hours.

Butch, glad to meet you. I too am a firewood addict. I can't walk through the woods anymore without thinking about snags that need dropped, and windfall that needs bucked. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem....I admit I have a problem I'm just not willing to change my wood deadfall firewood bucking ways. Hang in there man. I'm going through withdraws right now, and need another addiction to get me throught the firewood offseason....now to go fishing tommorow.
:popcorn:

Oh the good days of early winter when the stash was still small. It's doubled in size and I'm running out of room now....here's a pic before I took the addiction up another whole notch LOL ALL THIS WAS SPLIT BY HAND. Fiskars Axes and Sledge and Wedge.
IMG_2444.jpg

Here is another picture but in this one the wood keeps going down and out of the picture for about 100 more feet.
firewood.jpg

Last edited:
Butch, glad to meet you. I too am a firewood addict. I can't walk through the woods anymore without thinking about snags that need dropped, and windfall that needs bucked. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem....I admit I have a problem I'm just not willing to change my wood deadfall firewood bucking ways. Hang in there man. I'm going through withdraws right now, and need another addiction to get me throught the firewood offseason....now to go fishing tommorow.
:popcorn:

Oh the good days of early winter when the stash was still small. It's doubled in size and I'm running out of room now....here's a pic before I took the addiction up another whole notch LOL
IMG_2444.jpg

That's quite a wood stash...

:clap: :cheers:

Hey Butch . I know what it.s like not to see your kid,s for a while.as for addicts go . what do you call it when you have ten year supply?just cut a little extra fot 28 year.s

Dunno how far ahead I am. I have at least 40 cords left after extracting this winters heating wood.

002-1.jpg

That is 15-20 cords of locust.

There is another 15 cord of willow behind the camera.

Have another 2 cord locust waiting to be split/stacked and neighbor stopped today askign me to take out 2 of his locusts in the morning (probably only get one done if the weather allows)

Nah, I'm not an addict but I did go 10 miles out of my way coming back from shopping today to scout for more locust - that in spite of the fact that I already have more lined up than I will be able to harvest this year. Found two real good 'follow up' sites. I have about a 2 acre pasture that has become my wood storeage area. Beginning to wonder if I have enough room ;)

Harry K

Last edited:
Yes, firewood addict here. Glad I could make it to this weeks meeting. I went out last week and scouted some downed oaks on federal land(and some deer runs by the way), and today in a couple of hours I will do some scouting for turkeys and ofcourse downed trees, this will be on state land. I almost felt like Chris Mathews when I found all the oak last week. I can't wait to sink my '65(jred 2165) into some large oak. Four years ago I didn't even own a saw. I had no idea it would lead to this.:greenchainsaw:

Is there still hope fore me? I am only one year ahead on fire wood and I just have 5 chain saws. Maybe I should quit visiting hear.:cry::cry:

RNGRCHAD

Man, you have issues, at least one that you have to work out. I just laughed when I saw your stash!! LOL... I thought I was bad, I only have about 20 or so cords after this years burn. I am not even in the same leauge. Although.... I do have a giant cottonwood, about 6'dbh waiting for me, oh yeah and a small grove of elm that has to be cleared and then there are the 4 down trees down the road aways that are on the list, and then the old lady that needs the tree down in her back yard, and the wood that I picked up while at the dump yesterday........

I am very jealous!

I have only 4 cords of wood ready for next year. I burn close to 6 a year. If all goes right tommorow, I think I'll finish up most of next years wood.

RNGRCHAD

Man, you have issues, at least one that you have to work out. I just laughed when I saw your stash!! LOL... I thought I was bad, I only have about 20 or so cords after this years burn. I am not even in the same leauge. Although.... I do have a giant cottonwood, about 6'dbh waiting for me, oh yeah and a small grove of elm that has to be cleared and then there are the 4 down trees down the road aways that are on the list, and then the old lady that needs the tree down in her back yard, and the wood that I picked up while at the dump yesterday........

StihtheOne,
Oh boy, sounds to me like you've joined the right group. Recovery is a long process and it seems as though you will be staying real busy feeding your addiction. Hang in there. I know there are times when having the Arboristsite named F.A.D can take a strong grip on you only to let you down with calloused hands, hurt back, and the feeling of solitary life, because you will soon find your friends won't answer your phone calls anymore for fear you might ask them to help you with next years firewood. LOL.

StihtheOne,
Oh boy, sounds to me like you've joined the right group. Recovery is a long process and it seems as though you will be staying real busy feeding your addiction. Hang in there. I know there are times when having the Arboristsite named F.A.D can take a strong grip on you only to let you down with calloused hands, hurt back, and the feeling of solitary life, because you will soon find your friends won't answer your phone calls anymore for fear you might ask them to help you with next years firewood. LOL.

Eh, you only have a problem when you have more wood than you can burn and sell before it rots... And the solution to that problem is to burn and sell more until you're caught up. I get ragged on cause my truck smells like gas, the bed has a few inches of bark in it and most of my clothes have stains from bar oil.

My brother stopped by today, kinda rare actually, but before long we were out at the stack, I had to show him, I could not stop myself. He was mostly unimpressed, but thought that the cold beer was a good thought. I was talking to him, but I was eyeballing the wood that I will split on sunday, cuz were going to get blasted again by old man winter

Is there a 12 step program for this addiction? I work to keep 3 years ahead - not the quantity in Texas that would be required up North. I am to the point where I have to test the heater once a year just to make sure it still works.

Hal

I guestamate that I have 3 yrs worth of wood right now. I would like to get about 5 yrs. of wood in front of me.

Hey. Times could get tough. I could loose my job, get sick. Might as well get as much wood put up that you can. If you have the wood to harvest, go for it. Better than sitting in front of the tv watching crap, or at the bar.

Me also I cant seem to do anything without cutting wood or out looking at wood. my wife said I need to slow down and I do, until the next weekend or I am taking days off from work to cut wood. MAN I LOVE IT and I cant seem to stop.at least not right now.

Back