Hi, I am ???? and I am a firewood addict

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I step outside and can hear the buzz of saws in the distance. Around here this is prime time for getting your wood cut and split. :cheers:

Yeh, fortunately that is one of the good side-effects of have the addiction Arboristsite has scientifically named: F.A.D short for Firewood Addiction Disorder:chainsaw::popcorn:

Problem is a fad is something that is shortlived and oftentimes makes no rational sense.

For me, cutting, splitting, stacking, and burning looks to be anything other than ephemeral. It's pretty much embedded itself in my very DNA.

The scientific acronym used by scientists specializing in our commonly-shared mental malady is CORD, short for Cutters' Obessive Rabidity Disorder.

The only known cure is a series of painful shots administered directly into the sufferer's abdomen. The side effects are severe and include:

-A compulsive need to turn the thermostat dial clockwise
-An aversion to any machine powered by a 2-stroke engine
-The inability to perform basic arithmatic, such as how many ounces of one kind of liquid need to be added to another liquid so that a 50:1 ratio is created
-An inability to abide the sight of loose bark, branches, and other woodwaste in the back of your - or anyone else's pickups.

In short, the cure is worse than the illness. :)

Problem is a fad is something that is shortlived and oftentimes makes no rational sense.

Good post woodbooga lol.

With rising fuel-oil prices the whole ration el(I have no idea how so spell that word) of wood for heat is getting more appealing every year...the amount of work that goes into it however certainly does not seem like a very economical endeavor. I think I would be WAY WAY ahead in finances if I quit splitting and started working regular hours and just bought my own wood.

Except that the money you use to buy wood is taxed, where the money you save cutting your own is tax free. Also I would much rather be cutting firewood than doing my regular job.

I know this conversation is dated but I had to write. I just found this posting and feel so much better that there are others like me. I started with wood after a bad storm in 2011 left oaks all over the neighborhood. I started splitting and stacking it. I didn't even use wood at that point but I freaking loved it. Now 4 years later, woodstove in and no longer using heating oil, 2 saws, log splitter, stacks everywhere and fully addicted to firewood processing. Wife isn't happy about other things being neglected. Neighbors are wondering why I split at night with Coleman lantern. I feel like all my responsibilities are interfering with wood I could be harvesting and I'm frustrated. I never thought this would happen. Oh well, there are worse things.

I know this conversation is dated but I had to write. I just found this posting and feel so much better that there are others like me. I started with wood after a bad storm in 2011 left oaks all over the neighborhood. I started splitting and stacking it. I didn't even use wood at that point but I freaking loved it. Now 4 years later, woodstove in and no longer using heating oil, 2 saws, log splitter, stacks everywhere and fully addicted to firewood processing. Wife isn't happy about other things being neglected. Neighbors are wondering why I split at night with Coleman lantern. I feel like all my responsibilities are interfering with wood I could be harvesting and I'm frustrated. I never thought this would happen. Oh well, there are worse things.

It's like instant you are a paid pro athlete! You go get a workout, and are instantly paid in split firewood, which is valuable to burn yourself or sell.win/win/win all around.

Yep, addictive.

welcome to AS. there is help available. you may want to look into FWA (firewooders anonyomous). :crazy: they will tell you how to escape this dreaded affliction.:laughing:

welcome to AS. there is help available. you may want to look into FWA (firewooders anonyomous). :crazy: they will tell you how to escape this dreaded affliction.:laughing:

Who wants to escape it :). I have near 100cord now and am still cutting. I am cutting/splitting/stacking wood that I will never use, probably can't sell (have sign up for a month now, no takers). Next couple days I am off to the farmers willow brush with no intent to "cut wood", just clean up snags and scrappy brush for the exercise and fun of being out there with saws.

Harry K

Who wants to escape it :). I have near 100cord now and am still cutting. I am cutting/splitting/stacking wood that I will never use, probably can't sell (have sign up for a month now, no takers). Next couple days I am off to the farmers willow brush with no intent to "cut wood", just clean up snags and scrappy brush for the exercise and fun of being out there with saws.

Harry K

craigslist ads are free

Yes, there are a LOT worse things you could do with your time. Nothing wrong with the choice you have made. View attachment 425858

I pulled that wood for sale signs just now. Had a guy call this morning wanting 3 cords. I sold for later delivery. That takes care of my cured stuff for this year and half of next year. Then a quick look and I found I had 2 cords fewer than I thought. Means I got to put in 8 cords this year to cover orders plus a few for myself. Already have 3-4 in the stacks but I will be looking for an easy tree, i.e., one I can fall without a bunch of brush to clean out of the field tomorrow.

The new customer sounds like it will be a regular thing so with the one I already have that should keep my inventory to a reasonable level :)

Harry K

Back