Hi Lo screw seating depth Stihl 024

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The pic is of my carb with the hi and low screws feeling like they have bottomed out. Is that large difference between the two likely correct? Or, is the high screw jammed up on something?

RoyHi Lo depth.jpg

You will have to send the saw to me
So I can look it over for while , long while [emoji4]

Looks normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to send the saw to me
So I can look it over for while , long while [emoji4]

Well, eventually, the saw will be for sale...but, that is not, I expect, what you were thinking.

The difference between how much the two screws stick out of the carb is about .15"

It just seems odd/excessive...I can't remember such a difference when dealing with other saws. My 036 screws are very close to the same amount of exposure.

Roy

That is not normal. Just rebuilt a wt394 on an 026 and the screws are not that way...they are flush when bottomed out. The wt194 on my MS260 is the same way. If your spring binding somehow?

Which carb is this? How many hands has it gone though? My 024 supers are all with the WT194 carb. as are my 026's IIRC there are some 6 different carbs that fit the 024/MS240/026/MS260

60c2144b30668e181f14d0f3c4c0a532.jpg

Off of a bg 56 c
70 thousand difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WT22B

Yes, the screws are different diameter. Hi is 4mm and low is something smaller...is there a 3.5mm?

I am doing this test without the springs or plastic thing which hold the springs. I just rebuilt the carb...it is clean and all blown out. Is there some way to bench test whether the hi screw is closed? I would rather not slap it on the saw, and have it way-lean adjusted.

This saw came to me needing a piston, and without a story as to what happened. I recently had it together, and it ran just OK. So, I decided to put the carb kit in it. I did not notice what the screws looked like when I took them out.

Rouy

When I slip the carb into the saw...it is clear that the hi screw is too far out...it smashes up against the plastic.

My two guesses...threads bunged up, debris down deep in the skinny part of the hole (the 4mm part of the hole looks fine).

Suggestions? Chase threads in carb body? Is there some way to blow out that hole from the inside-out?

Roy

When I slip the carb into the saw...it is clear that the hi screw is too far out...it smashes up against the plastic.

My two guesses...threads bunged up, debris down deep in the skinny part of the hole (the 4mm part of the hole looks fine).

Suggestions? Chase threads in carb body? Is there some way to blow out that hole from the inside-out?

Roy

You sure it is the correct screw? I would not be surprised if someone had tried to cobble it together with another H screw. It maybe just easier to swap out the carb in the end.

You sure it is the correct screw? I would not be surprised if someone had tried to cobble it together with another H screw. It maybe just easier to swap out the carb in the end.

I'm not sure of anything, about the saw. It was not running when I got it. I bought it off of CL.

Maybe...it could be the wrong screw. But, it "feels" like the screw is the right one, but won't screw in as far as it should.

I will probably take the carb apart, and see if I can figure out how to blow out that hole from the "inside."

I have plenty of time. It is just a dink-around-with-it saw.

Roy

IF IT HAS A NOZZLE CHECK VALVE DONT BLOW OUT THE HIGH NEED TO HOOK TO THE NOZZLE CHECK VALVE AND U WILL BLOW OUY THE NOZZLE DISC. If it has a accumulator cover than your good

IF IT HAS A NOZZLE CHECK VALVE DONT BLOW OUT THE HIGH NEED TO HOOK TO THE NOZZLE CHECK VALVE AND U WILL BLOW OUY THE NOZZLE DISC. If it has a accumulator cover than your good

Thanks...but, I don't know what most of that means.

To rebuild, I just did what they said to do on the Walbro video. I blew out all passages, but with only 25 psi. The carb on the video looks mostly like mine. If there is a disk in there, maybe I dislodged it.

Roy

Final word: The threads on the screw are bunged up. Hard to imagine how that happened. This is a 4 mm x .7 mm screw, and it is super-hard to see the damage.

I tried to use a die on the screw, and further FUBARed it. Ha.

Anyway, the excellent guys at Walbro have given me the part number, and who to contact to buy one. It seems, when they discontinue a carb, the sell off all remaining parts to a distributor.

Thanks to everyone who responded, for the help.

Roy

Latest posts

Back