Highest RPM Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I`ve been told by one of my Stihl buddies that the 270 runs at 15,000 rpm to compete head to head with the 346. Too bad they didn`t build a little more quality into it. The true hi speed modern saw is an ms260pro with fixed hi speed jet running average pump gas in New York in the winter. Mine turned 15,700 out of the box, LOL.

Russ

Tony, mine never made it too summer outfitted with the fixed jet carb, swapped it out for a WT426 and all is well with it. Runs pretty good for a Stihl, LOL, but Dennis told me that he built it using Jonsered parts.

Russ

The 242 was the "fastest" factory rated saw I have ever seen, although I've seen sellers on e-bay claiming to have tuned an 046 or 371 up to 15,500, which is ridiculous.

I don't think any saw makes it's peak HP at anything close to what the manufacturers rate them at. Out of the box, these saws may run at 15,000 RPM if they're leaned out, but in the wood where they're doing actual work, the RPM is much lower. The measure of how well a saw engine will cut is how far up the RPM range the motor will still make reasonable torque.

We tached John's 088 KD woods saw at my house last fall and it hit 15,000 RPM. My 3120 KD woods hits 15 grand with it's new, non-rev limited coil. In the wood, however, I believe that the optimum cutting speed may only be in the 10-11,000 RPM range, at least for these saws.

Typically a saw that is running at 13,500 rpms unloaded (for example the 2171/372) they will cut at about 9600 rpm. We did some testing last spring with a modified 372, 28" bar .404 full house chain. Unloaded the saw was running about 14900, but cutting at 11,200 rpm.

The other test we did, at last years "Pre Clearwater" With Rotax Robert doing the cutting, is we took a 346 modified and the 2149 modified, and ran them both at 14700 unloaded (with same bar and chain) and did 3 timed cuts....we then richened both mixtures to 13500 unloaded....and did 3 timed cuts. The richer mixture cut faster all 3 cuts on both saws.
There was a thread about this called "Creative Advertising"

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthr...5&highlight=creative+advertising&pagenumber=1

If you look at saw dyno sheets, you will see they produce max torque between 9-11000 rpm. They are designed that way because that is the real world cutting speed in wood

Latest posts

Back