Hitch knot storage/line memory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy26R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it bad to leave a hitch tied constantly? For example leaving a preconfigured lanyard with VT/pulley ect. Is it okay to just leave it setup attached to my harness all the time. I notice on my practice indoor line with VT on ocean poly hitch cord, it has a great deal of memory when left tied for an extended period of time. When I untie it, the hitch loops have a great deal of memory. Will this cause the loops to have a tendency to spring open and stay open. I'm wondering if this will impact performance. I do of course untie it to inspect wear and tear after heavy use, but really don't untie it daily if it got little use. I know best practice is to inspect all gear daily after use, but say I just want my rig setup and ready to go. Is leaving a hitch tied permanently a bad practice? Just wondering what is standard best practice for storage of my climbing gear. Thank you!

I don't untie my hitches on my lanyards. I don't see the need. They don't get burned like the climbing hitch cord does. Sometimes I work them and loosen them a bit if they start getting tight. However I do untie my climbing hitch when the climb is over. I did leave it on the climb line once for a few climbs over the course of a few days. When I did take it apart it had become flat and noticeably worn. Now when I tie my hitch cord, I always try to wrap it differently each time. Seems to make them last longer.

Thank you! Makes perfect sense about the lanyard hitch not wearing from heat damage like the climbing hitch.

Back