Hitch pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't have a hitch pulley but I was watching a video on how to use a hitch pulley. At the end of the video the guy said that the manufacturer said not to use a knot to connect to the hitch pulley because the knot could interfere with the friction knot. Causing the friction knot to release its friction.

So if you are using a hitch pulley are you using a rope with an eye in the end or do you have some other method of connecting?

I have watched some of the videos on youtube. That is where I heard that an eye connection was preferred.

I have not purchased the hitch pulley yet. But I got to climb just a little with one and it was nice.

Now I have to look up some youtube videos on how to splice an eye in some 16 weave rope. This will probably keep me busy for a while during all this rainy and cold weather.

Thanks for the replies and information.

Well I just spent about 5 hours watching splicing videos and attempting to splice an eye into some cheap rope. The results are I learned a great deal and I learned that I won't be climbing on anything that I splice for a while.

I got to the last step and just could not get the rope core pulled into the outer cover. I milked that rope like a jersey cow but it just would not work. I probably didn't reduce the core and get the taper correct. The rope that I was playing with had a factory splice in one end so I know that the rope could be spliced. But not by me.

I don't think that I knew what I was doing at any point in the splicing procedure.

So if I decide to tie on with an anchor knot what kind of stopper knot would work best?

Anchor hitch or buntline hitch. The anchor is simply and easier to untie.

Well I just spent about 5 hours watching splicing videos and attempting to splice an eye into some cheap rope. The results are I learned a great deal and I learned that I won't be climbing on anything that I splice for a while.

I got to the last step and just could not get the rope core pulled into the outer cover. I milked that rope like a jersey cow but it just would not work. I probably didn't reduce the core and get the taper correct. The rope that I was playing with had a factory splice in one end so I know that the rope could be spliced. But not by me.

I don't think that I knew what I was doing at any point in the splicing procedure.

So if I decide to tie on with an anchor knot what kind of stopper knot would work best?

JWP, Figure 8 stopper knot. Have you read ....."the book"? (Tree Climbers Companion) Dont know if you have or not havn't looked at your threads....if not read it, stay on the ground till you do.

Wouldn't a bowline tied on the working end as a large loop (backed up with a couple half-hitches) serve well to keep the knot's bulk away from the friction hitch? I've done that when using a VT, and the knot did not interfere with the VT hitch.

None of my climbing lines have spliced eyes, and I couldnt get an endline knot to work properly with the hitchclimber pulley unless I use an o-rig configuration. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/biners-and-rope-bridge.249017/#post-4617726

You gotta make sure you dont let your friction hitch get too far away from you though.

^ This is the best way for using the hitch climber with out a spliced eye. From watching the videos it is also wayyyy more versatile then the standard HC too. Here is what I'm talking about.
http://www.climbingarborist.com/orig.html

Latest posts

Back