Home made Hookaroon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDRock

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Every time I am unloading and processing wood, I think , man !! I wish I had a hookaroon, (and my back reminds me I should have one)
I looked at buying one but, I figured I just may have everything I need out in the shop to make one, and sure enough I did.

Some 1" OD aluminum tubing from another project where trying to bend that tubing didn't work out so great ,so that's why you will see a slight band in the end of the handle, which I think is a good thing to have, and it turned out to be 30 inches.

Then I got a piece of half-inch water pipe that just happen to slide right inside the aluminum , I made that peace 8 inches long, just enough weight in the end to help it penetrate.
I just happen to have some 1/2" , 8 inch long carriage bolts , so I drilled a 1/2" hole through both pipes at the same time , cut the head off the carriage bolt, ground it to shape , and put a lock nut on one side.

Tried it out real quick, works great picked up some splits , stuck it in a 15" by 3 foot log and dragged it .

Next I will use conduit , make one 6 or 7ft long for pulling wood out of the trailer.

View attachment 284084View attachment 284085View attachment 284086View attachment 284087

Made one of my own 2day after seeing this post. What did u make ur handle out of?

Made one of my own 2day after seeing this post. What did u make ur handle out of?

Maybe U saw another post cuz I posted this Today,at 05:07 AM.
As it says in the post the handle is 1" OD aluminum tubing, and a piece of 1/2"water pipe 8" long in the end.

I may put on another layer of wrap to increase the size of the handle, but, just wondering, why would I want something different

Was just suggesting it as a less expensive, effective solution that would seem to fit with your bill of scrounged materials! I use it on a number of long handled tools, including some metal ones. Slip resistant. Does not transmit cold. Wears well. etc.

Philbert

Was just suggesting it as a less expensive, effective solution that would seem to fit with your bill of scrounged materials! I use it on a number of long handled tools, including some metal ones. Slip resistant. Does not transmit cold. Wears well. etc.

Philbert
Ya ,I didn't have any thing like that lying around.
What does it cost for how many feet?
Like I said I am going to make a longer one for pulling wood out of the trailer, and will want some wrap for that also.
I assume U would get it at sports supply

My version, 7' hookeroon:

006-12.jpg

004.jpg

8' closet pole (cut to 7') with a compression fitting (Dressler coupling) from teh plumbing section plus a short pieceof 1/2" all thread.

Works great for pulling rounds out of hte front of the bed - not very useful for pulling splits out though.

Ideal would be 3 hookeroons

1. 30" for short range - I have the logrite one
2. 5' for mid range - I need to make this one.
3. 7' for the front of the bed - made the 7' one

Harry K

My version, 7' hookeroon:

006-12.jpg

004.jpg

8' closet pole (cut to 7') with a compression fitting (Dressler coupling) from teh plumbing section plus a short pieceof 1/2" all thread.

Works great for pulling rounds out of hte front of the bed - not very useful for pulling splits out though.

Ideal would be 3 hookeroons

1. 30" for short range - I have the logrite one
2. 5' for mid range - I need to make this one.
3. 7' for the front of the bed - made the 7' one

Harry K

I really like your ideas and the compression fitting.
What size is your Closet Pole ?
For the longer one I want to make, I don't have every thing I need , so I looked at closet poles and for a 72 in. x 1-5/16 in. Heavy Duty Oak Closet Pole it is $17.98 , don't know price on the fitting.

A 1 in. x 10 ft. Electric Conduit is $5.89 (which is a little over an inch OD), A 1 in. (EMT) Compression Connector is $.90, I already have another long carrage bolt, so the materales would cost $6.79 +tax.
The 10 ft conduit weighs a little over 1/2 a lb, 0.635
Although I like the idea of a wood handle, cost wise I think will go with the Conduit:msp_smile:

Last edited:
I really like your ideas and the compression fitting.
What size is your Closet Pole ?
For the longer one I want to make, I don't have every thing I need , so I looked at closet poles and for a 72 in. x 1-5/16 in. Heavy Duty Oak Closet Pole it is $17.98 , don't know price on the fitting.

A 1 in. x 10 ft. Electric Conduit is $5.89 (which is a little over an inch OD), A 1 in. (EMT) Compression Connector is $.90, I already have another long carrage bolt, so the materales would cost $6.79 +tax.
The 10 ft conduit weighs a little over 1/2 a lb, 0.635
Although I like the idea of a wood handle, cost wise I think will go with the Conduit:msp_smile:

Dunno the pole size - I think they are all about the same.

I looked at EMT but decided it was a bit light weight and I hadn't thought of a good way to add weight at the tip at the time.

Cost? that compression fitting ain't cheap. All in, it was about 1/2 the cost of my Log Rite. Had I known that Peavey builds long hookeroons, I probably would have gone that route.

Harry K

Made mine out of 8' of mulberry with a pc of 3/8" rebar bent at a 90, drilled a hole in the end and screwed it in. My F-250 is too tall for me to reach over the sides and I'm too old to keep jumping in the bed!

Welp.

If you have enough coordination to jerk your gherkin, you could always lead in a piece of trimmer line, (or pull starter rope) in the tape as you lay on the handle wrap...

Success will depend on how long you've been jerkin yer gherkin.

Latest posts

Back