Home Made OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here is some pics of my home made owb that I built. This is the 4th owb I've built. its basically a 1/2"wall x 42" diameter, 6' long pipe for the burn chamber. that is put inside a 52"dia x 3/4"wall x 7' long pipe. it holds 310 gallons of water. all in all it cost about 3700 in parts to build it and took about 220hrs. the handle above the door is a smoke bypass, so I don't get a face full of smoke when loading it. the estimated weight is about 5200lbs. the spray foam cost about 540. but it will pay for itself eventually, just like the boiler itself. I also built it with an ash auger, on the bottom of the burn chamber.
DSC01020_zpscac8b647.jpg

DSC01026_zpsfec53997.jpg

DSC01025_zpsb9185852.jpg

DSC01023_zpsfae4bb28.jpg

DSC01024_zpsfb299f4c.jpg

Where is the blinking red caution light on top of the stack to warn airplanes?:laugh: Just kidding! Looks good, how close can the foam insulation get to the chimney? My boiler also has the stack going out through the roof and I would like to have it foamed this summer.

lol. the spray foam is right on the chimney, and also right on the door frame, where there is no water. it has a heat rating of r7 per inch. as I'm sure u know. the guy who sprayed it for me, also sprayed his exhaust on his big cat diesel generator that runs his spray foam rig. and its still stuck onto the exhaust years later. I don't have the specs on it but as best as I can tell, it will withstand higher temps than fiberglass.

Nicely done!

I was also planning to add outlets as you did for tools and just for a spare remote power source. I did get to thinking that I would want a GFCI outlet instead of a standard outlet though just because it would be considered a "wet" location. That is, you could be standing in the rain or puddle or whatever in the yard just like any other outside outlet.

Otherwise, I like all of the things you did - easy to read temperature gauge, multiple lights, power/switches inside door, foam insulation, etc. Looks like you put a lot of planning into it.

Do you have more pictures of the smoke bypass? I put a smoke baffle in mine, but v2.0 will have something a little different.

I have more pics of the build I just have to get that sd card back from a friend. gimme a day or 2 should have em up.

I like the idea of gfci outlets! cant believe I didn't think of it.

Good looking build.

I had mine foamed right up to the stack. it sort of burned/ melted, back a 1/4" or so on it's own.

here is some pics of the build. I wish I would have taken more pics but at the time I just wanted to finish the project.

DSCF1683_zps7489987d.jpg

DSCF1679_zpsf0ce18ad.jpg

DSCF1680_zpsa2b19a1a.jpg

DSCF1685_zpsc3943510.jpg

DSCF1686_zpsd8140733.jpg

DSCF1687_zpsda7dad0c.jpg

DSCF1688_zps86bab06b.jpg

DSCF1690_zps7998e75f.jpg

I have to say I think that is the best looking homemade OWB I have seen yet. Looks like an excellent job! Are you a welder by trade? When I was going to build mine I was going to use half of a 250 and 500 pound propane cylinders. Where were you able to find the pipes that you did? How much wood are you going through and what are you heating? How hot is the chimney stack by the time it exits?

well thanks everyone!!! I cant tell u what it means to me to have ppl appreciate my crazy ideas. my family and friends just don't get it. I guess u have to burn wood to realize what u see. thanks again!!!

Hondaracer, I'm actually a heavy equipment operator. I learned to weld at the operators training site. I've been welding and fabricating as a 2nd career for over 12 years. I got the 42" pipe from a pipeline job I worked in 2007, the boss said he didn't care if I grabbed it after work. the 52" pipe I got from "stewart spreading" down the road, he bought all the leftover scrap pipe from the same pipeline I worked on. he bought the pipe for scrap price so he sold it for just above scrap price. u need some pipe? pm me... I don't want to be a spammer... just guessing I'd say I go thru 6-8 cords a year. I never measured, I'm just guessing. I'm heating 2200sq ft old drafty farm house with single pane windows. in 2006 (the last year I burned propane) it cost me 3500 to heat my house and that's keeping the temp at 65. when I installed the boiler, I put heat in my 1200sq ft shop also. (I keep the shop at 65 degrees) its pretty well insulated. I used to buy kerosene for the shop. this is the 4th boiler I've built, so each one is better than the last. the stack temps? I never measured with a thermometer, but I can hold my hand on the stack right above the boiler. so its not too hot. if I had to guess I'd say 130 degrees F... roughly? I'll have to get a thermometer reading to know for sure. I'll make that happen... just fyi I'm kind of a perfectionist. lol

Last edited:
Good job. I would like to see the rest of it like the pump and radiater. How did you pressure check your welds and can you tell me what it cost in electricite to run it?

Back