HomeAdvisor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlsaloga

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone used HomeAdvisor to gain new business? If so, were you pleased with the results?

They called earlier this week. I wasn't home so my wife went round and round with them trying to figure out what they were. I guess the guy finally got mad at her questions and ditched her. I've told them I wasn't interested before and the guy got really angry. Can't really say if they're worth anything or not but I've found their reps to be weiners.
Phil

I believe they are the same people as service magic.

Me too, they always call, I always say no. Anytime you gotta pay per bid, its BS. They say they only choose the highest caliber contractors, vette them to ensure respectable outfits, then I see the crackheads already signed up and are on the list. Those things are a waste

Lol. I just got a call today. Luckily I didn't answer and let it go to voicemail. Saw the Austin, tx area code and figured there wasn't a steer on the other end of that line. And we all know the only other thing that comes out of Texas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

When they were Service Magic, I received high quality, and lucrative leads that were easy to sell. Now that they have become Home Advisor, I get #### leads from people that have little to no intention of hiring. Mostly looking for pricing, and more often then not, I do not receive call backs on lead inquiries. As a matter of fact, I am just back from a vaca this evening and will be calling tomorrow to terminate a certain cluster of area codes and give them another month or so before cutting them off completely.

When they called me the rep wanted to know why I wasn't interested. I told him I'd heard bad thing about them to which the guy replied, "Well I've heard bad things about you. 'Guess he realized it wasn't a very snappy comeback because he hung up.
Phil

When they were Service Magic, I received high quality, and lucrative leads that were easy to sell. Now that they have become Home Advisor, I get #### leads from people that have little to no intention of hiring. Mostly looking for pricing, and more often then not, I do not receive call backs on lead inquiries. As a matter of fact, I am just back from a vaca this evening and will be calling tomorrow to terminate a certain cluster of area codes and give them another month or so before cutting them off completely.

I did this, changed it to just removals for a short time before canceling. The leads I was getting and, paying for, were not of any quality and mostly a waste of time. The good ones I did get we're not worth the rest of the hassle.

Canceled it and haven't thought twice about them.

Lol. I just got a call today. Luckily I didn't answer and let it go to voicemail. Saw the Austin, tx area code and figured there wasn't a steer on the other end of that line. And we all know the only other thing that comes out of Texas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Easy now... wouldn't want us to shut off the tap and let ya start paying $6.00 a gallon, would ya?

I just reassigned my ao with them. One more chance. Like I said, used to be a great service. Maybe first lead netted me a 5k job. However as of late, I have a bunch of donkeys looking for something for nothing. I submitted 8 requests for refunds yesterday for no calls back. One of them was a direct match too...

I just reassigned my ao with them. One more chance. Like I said, used to be a great service. Maybe first lead netted me a 5k job. However as of late, I have a bunch of donkeys looking for something for nothing. I submitted 8 requests for refunds yesterday for no calls back. One of them was a direct match too...

Thanks everyone for your replies. In addition to membership. they charge $18.00 for each lead. I don't think it's worth it.

Thanks everyone for your replies. In addition to membership. they charge $18.00 for each lead. I don't think it's worth it.

None of those places are worth it. They send you the goofiest tire kicking morons you have ever had to deal with.

I can promise you, the lowest fee you will get is $25 which is team but those refunds that you will want add up quickly.

Just wanted to chime in on this. I decided to try Home Advisor for a few months, a few months ago. I haven't closed a single bid through them and most of the leads never even picked up their phone when I called, much less called me back. One lead was complete bogus (the phone number was not in service, the address was the same as the name of the customer and the email came back as 'undeliverable'). Needless to say I'm pissed and the customer service of H.A. won't return my 'scathing' emails. I don't expect to get my money back but I would like a response to my complaints. They say they only use the highest caliber companies. Apparently they have no requirements for the customers they refer to us.

Ive been using them for about 2 years. I have some of the same complaints that others have, but, I've also gotten some good jobs out of it. My best jobs have been absentee landlords who don't have time or ability to meet with a bunch of contractors. Customers on homeadvisor (service magic) are pretty likely to write a review for you, which is cool. One complaint that hasn't been mentioned yet is that they can scavenge other internet advertising, for instance, if someone googles my company, the homeadvisor ad comes up in the paid ad section and I end up paying them.

P.S.
typing on this ewforum isimpossible. i hav to type almost everything twice in order for it to not hav errors.

Just wanted to chime in on this. I decided to try Home Advisor for a few months, a few months ago. I haven't closed a single bid through them and most of the leads never even picked up their phone when I called, much less called me back. One lead was complete bogus (the phone number was not in service, the address was the same as the name of the customer and the email came back as 'undeliverable'). Needless to say I'm pissed and the customer service of H.A. won't return my 'scathing' emails. I don't expect to get my money back but I would like a response to my complaints. They say they only use the highest caliber companies. Apparently they have no requirements for the customers they refer to us.

Exactly the experience I've had with them. I'm a little untrusting by nature, but I would just about call this company a scam job at this point. I have had multitudes of no call backs with numbers that have no voicemails set up. I get a call back from maybe 1 out of every 3--5 leads I get. My belief is that they assume that people aren't going to go through the effort of getting lead refunds back. I have been justifying it because every once in a while I get a bone, but as soon as next spring starts to fill up, I'll drop them with zero regrets.

Man they are aggressive, because of this thread I went back on there site and registered so I could see who else they had now, holy hell. Calls, emails, more calls. They must be hurtin to be so aggressive.

Another one is treebids.com, they send me text and emails on leads, I call the peeps and its like a month old!

Hey guys,

Business got a little slow at one point so I decided to get a HA membership. Paid $280 for the annual membership and then $20-$35 for each additional "lead" (which are just people tire kicking in my experience). In my first three days, I had telemarketing calls from other similar HA services trying to sell you jobs. I got so tired of people wasting my time on the phone that I canceled my membership in 5 days. Yes, almost $300 down the drain but it was worth it to get my name off the internet. Or so I thought...Now I canceled my membership 21 days ago, and I am still getting telemarketing calls every day!!! About 1/3 of them are real people trying to sell me work on another platform similar to HA, however, the other 2/3 are just computer recordings that do nothing but waste your time. For the little guys, trying to answer the phone while climbing or chipping brush 2-3 times a day to listen to a computer recording is beyond frustrating.

Right before I requested to cancel my account, some customer service rep tried to offer me "5 free leads if I'm willing to stay". I said "Sir unfortunately, I will pass on that because I am in the business of tree care and not the business of talking on the phone".... As summed up so wonderfully before, my parting advice is to just let word of mouth grow your business and don't fool with these people because it is all headache. I have attached my list of Blocked numbers that have called me in the last week for all you all to enjoy! :)

Attachments

• IMG_3928.jpg
    IMG_3928.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 13
I've never used them, and I won't either. Even after I've told them to take me off their call list multiple times they continue to call, so now if I answer and it's them I just get ****** with them. I also think the whole paying for leads thing is BS, I've always done fine on word of mouth.

Back