Homelite 330 won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For someone who hasn't worked on a chainsaw before, the 330 isn't a good one to start with.. I've done several and I believe the AV mounts are part of the problem with the intake boot, they get a little spongy and that allows the boot to flex and eventually break. If you replace the boot it might be good to check the mounts since you have them apart anyway..
It's my opinion that you can run the saw without that oil pump if you plumb it just like it was a Super 2. You can fix them to oil all you need. Still it probably isn't worth messing with much unless you just like to tinker, lots of lighter, better running saws out there.

For someone who hasn't worked on a chainsaw before, the 330 isn't a good one to start with.. I've done several and I believe the AV mounts are part of the problem with the intake boot, they get a little spongy and that allows the boot to flex and eventually break. If you replace the boot it might be good to check the mounts since you have them apart anyway..
It's my opinion that you can run the saw without that oil pump if you plumb it just like it was a Super 2. You can fix them to oil all you need. Still it probably isn't worth messing with much unless you just like to tinker, lots of lighter, better running saws out there.

what would be better?

From all the reports I've received on this tread I can plainly see I shouldn't have attempted to repair this 330. I sometimes wondered about it over the years as it never ran as well as others I've used in the past. However, I always seemed to get the job done with it so I put up with it. I've ordered the boot & hoses for it & if that doesn't do the job I'll cut my losses & junk it. My question is what would be a good used 20" saw that I could replace it with. I only use a saw once or twice a year & really don't want to sink much money into one as I'll only need one for another 5 years or so. If I had some advise on what to look for I believe I could find one in my area for not too much money. Thanks in advance.

If your putting new hose's and a boot on it, do like I said and replace the crank seals while you have it apart. If the rest of the saw is good, it should run again for ya for no more then your going to use it. Hell it lasted this long?

The boot is suppose to flex for crying out loud, that's why there made of rubber. Everyone I seen ended up harder then a rock and thats why they crack instead of flexing.

The boot is suppose to flex for crying out loud, that's why there made of rubber. Everyone I seen ended up harder then a rock and thats why they crack instead of flexing.
They're supposed to flex but so are my 70 some year old muscles, don't work that way. I still wouldn't put a new boot in there without checking the mounts...

What saw to get always depends on how much you want to spend. For less than $50 you can find a decent Poulan Pro 260 or similar. Parts are super easy to find, light weight, a breeze to work on, can handle an 18" bar ok, bars and chains are cheap and plentiful, but not a crazy power horse. $100 maybe a good used PP 5020 or go old school PP 335. A bit more might find a used husky or Echo saw in the 40-50cc range. Just my 2 cents.

i don't know much about the 330-- but we did run some 360s back in the shortwood days.

seems like they were difficult to start --too difficult to consider running today--- i sort of wish i had a 360 for a display.

i wouldn't run one today-- too many easy starters with way more HP on the market.

Well I finally got the intake boot, hoses, & fuel filter. Put the saw back together (not to much fun) & it runs as well as it ever did. Maybe even better, I don't know. But one thing is for sure it will cut wood now. The real problem was the intake boot.
Thanks for all of the assistance with the repair.

Back