Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the Homelite Harvester
535f4efd0b43586a817b53a5d018d630.jpg

This is a NOS unit

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
[/IMG]

That is a super rare find! Any chance you can snap a few more pics?

How does the 1074 do with the .325 chain? My 1073 was my Dad's so won't be sold quickly. It is fiesty but white fingers happen pretty quickly. I have a couple of 1100 that I need to get going, or maybe one out of the two. No market for them, but will be interesting to see how they are at 58cc. No AV either. Both came wit OK bars and chains, solid nose I think. They don't have the built-in decomp the the smaller Pioneers have.

How does the 1074 do with the .325 chain? My 1073 was my Dad's so won't be sold quickly. It is fiesty but white fingers happen pretty quickly. I have a couple of 1100 that I need to get going, or maybe one out of the two. No market for them, but will be interesting to see how they are at 58cc. No AV either. Both came wit OK bars and chains, solid nose I think. They don't have the built-in decomp the the smaller Pioneers have.

I don't know. I got it running well but have not cut anything with it.

Last week we visited family up in NC. On the way, we drove through Gastonia, so being the Homelite nut I am, we looked up the location of the Homelite plant that was built there back in the '50s. It ain't owned by Homelite anymore and the best google hits I found were related to history of chemical spills for the plant, so wasn't 100% sure of the location. Posted these pics last week over at HoH and think all reached consensus that this was indeed the Gastonia Homelite plant of days gone by.
1.jpg 2.jpg

Dan

Last week we visited family up in NC. On the way, we drove through Gastonia, so being the Homelite nut I am, we looked up the location of the Homelite plant that was built there back in the '50s. It ain't owned by Homelite anymore and the best google hits I found were related to history of chemical spills for the plant, so wasn't 100% sure of the location. Posted these pics last week over at HoH and think all reached consensus that this was indeed the Gastonia Homelite plant of days gone by.
View attachment 548451 View attachment 548452

Dan

The Google satellite pictures show it to be in pretty good shape yet, that is nice to see. It has been in use and not completely abandoned for years. Check out lesorubcheek's House of Homelite post for more pics and the address of the plant.

http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/thread/5311/gastonia-homelite-factory-today

Happy New Year,
Dan

Hi guys,
Thought I would pick your brain a bit here. I collect McCulloch and Homelites only and have a fairly small collection. I'm mostly 95% Mac with a few Homelites. Now I'm very familiar with old McCulloch saws that I collect but haven't the same amount of knowledge with some of the old homelite saws as much. My question is comparing a regular model to a super. The 1050 is the saw in question. Now with McCulloch you take a model 250 versus a super 250 or a 6-10 versus a super 6-10 and the difference in power is noticeable in a big way. And the super usually has the porthole lid, factory ported , different carb on some models etc.

The homelite 1050 I'm not sure about the difference . Is there any power increase or is it only more of a marketing gimmick? I have an old 1050 with a lot of paint loss yet it has 180psi and a strong runner. I love running this saw and always wanted a S1050 for comparison. Doesn't seem to be any shortage of them you see them on a regular basis it seems. Mine has a regular lid and the decals are gone from the sides but the lid just say 1050. I broke it down a bit and got the number off the cylinder head and it has the number for a super 1050 looking at the ipl. Looks like they also use different cranks but I havent checked that yet.

Im just curious about an difference in power. Is there any or was it only marketing for sales? I finally located a nice super 1050 I bought but it hasn't arrived yet. I wanted a nice clean example as I don't paint saws. I like original paint myself or I'll put an NOS part on if I run across any. The super I got coming has been in a shed for years. Also comes with a spare 42" bar which is a plus. It's the newer model with the smaller decals on the sides. Paint is nice, muffler cover isn't even cracked. Has the SDC carb on it , etc. Hopefully it will be a good runner. But I've always wondered about the supers homelite made compared to McCulloch as in power increase. Any input appreciated. Would love to find a full wrap handle if anyone has one they would let go of...

Nick

Here is a pic from above, no lid on showing the SDC carb. It hasn't been completely cleaned up he said the crud by the fuel cap wiped right off so it will clean up nicely. I've read some of these have a fixed high side jet so maybe since this is a later model it has this fixed jet on it. Some dont like that but it's fine with me. My Mac 125C has a fixed high side jet and it works very well as is. I wonder why they didn't use thin rings on the super models? Some have it, some dont. I prefer thin ring saws myself they rev higher and seem to have more power...

59ce43e7d4010445dbccdf053bc9c486.jpg

Hi guys,
The homelite 1050 I'm not sure about the difference . Is there any power increase or is it only more of a marketing gimmick?
There were several updates as the XP-1000 evolved through the 1020 and its 4 or so variants, 1050 and finally the Super 1050. Biggest difference I've noted between the 1050 and the Super 1050 is the Super used a different rod and piston. They went to a pair of bushings that was inserted on either side of the rod at the wrist pin end where the earlier "plain" 1050 had a bushing material bonded to the rod itself on the crank end. Similar change was made on the 2100 and XL-900 series also moving the bushing surface up at the piston end of the rod. Don't think this gave any additional power, but may have allowed safer higher RPMs. Never heard anyone ever explain the technical benefit in detail.
Also, a bunch of the earlier 1050s used the idle air tube running to the cylinder from the intake manifold and used a HL carb where most Supers seem to have the SDC with the fixed H jet and no air inlet port on the cylinder. Never checked port timing between the two different cylinders, so there's a possibility they had different timing. Maybe someone has actually looked into this and can answer.

Dan

Back