Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple top handle XL's that have oiling issues. If a saw is pushing/sucking oil back into the crankcase where should one start to troubleshoot?

IMG_3436.JPG
I have a couple top handle XL's that have oiling issues. If a saw is pushing/sucking oil back into the crankcase where should one start to troubleshoot?
For most models up to the late 1980's......First check that the lines are installed correctly, lines that are installed incorrectly is a common problem with these saws. Square fitting goes to bottom of tank,

I've got several homelites

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I've also got a few.

a7e7dea9ac0858a2824b899a0761da2c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Any time you see that you likely have an issue with a check valve or an air leak in the oiling system. I'm not sure if your model has an oil pump but there's a check ball in there as well as the duckbill(s).
I have a Super 2 and an LX30 Bandit but I'm not really up to speed on those models.

I have a dumb question(s). SXL925 is hunting at idle big time. Here's a short video of it:

1) This has the Tilly carb w/ the governor plug thing near the throttle shaft. If this were a Briggs, I'd be looking at the governor setup. So is that a factor here?

2) Is this an indicator of crank seals? I pressure/vac tested the saw 2 years ago & found a leak at the cylinder gasket. Replaced it and cut wood with it a few times. Then it died & I shelved it.

3) What's the part number for the clutch puller tool? I've tried all my homemade contraptions and none of them have worked.

Thanks in advance!

--JC

I have a dumb question(s). SXL925 is hunting at idle big time. Here's a short video of it:

1) This has the Tilly carb w/ the governor plug thing near the throttle shaft. If this were a Briggs, I'd be looking at the governor setup. So is that a factor here?
The governor could be leaking. Has the carb been cleaned, fuel arm checked?

2) Is this an indicator of crank seals? I pressure/vac tested the saw 2 years ago & found a leak at the cylinder gasket. Replaced it and cut wood with it a few times. Then it died & I shelved it.
What did you do to get it running again? I don't think a leak will cause what the saw is doing now.

3) What's the part number for the clutch puller tool? I've tried all my homemade contraptions and none of them have worked.

Thanks in advance!

--JC
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Homelite-Tool...%3A3d2853b615c0ab674aae3e51fffff902%7Ciid%3A7

Latest posts

Back