Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So that's what one o' those looks like all cleaned up! LOL

I have one that is so covered with funk you can barely see red. Looks to be in really good shape otherwise. Just haven't gotten jazzed up enough about it yet to pull it out and go through it. Be lucky to get 75 bux for it in my area. Think I paid $35. Are they actually Homelites, or Solos?

Here's an article about the introduction of the 650 that mentions the introduction of the 350 pulpwood saw in the prior year.

Attachments

• homelite_650_story_chainsaw_age_july_1974_.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
290, 340, 540 were Solo. 360 is U.S. designed and made.

Actually, I don't think its been proven yet that the 540 was built by Solo. I know there's a lot of talk and speculation, and it does seem very possible, but there's not an equivalent Solo model to the 540 and don't think any documents have turned up yet proving it. Maybe there has been and I missed it. It'd be great if so to put this issue finally to rest. Apologies for being nit-picking about this, but just gotta be careful that facts are facts and rumors are not treated like facts.

Dan

It would b interesting if someone with a 540 and a 340 old post a pic of the model and serial number labels on the saws. I think the Gov't was getting fussy by that time indicating where a product was made and if it was assembled in the US might state using parts made in XXXXX.

290, 340, 540 were Solo. 360 is U.S. designed and made.

Actually, I don't think its been proven yet that the 540 was built by Solo. I know there's a lot of talk and speculation, and it does seem very possible, but there's not an equivalent Solo model to the 540 and don't think any documents have turned up yet proving it. Maybe there has been and I missed it. It'd be great if so to put this issue finally to rest. Apologies for being nit-picking about this, but just gotta be careful that facts are facts and rumors are not treated like facts.

Dan

I checked with a fellow collector that worked for Homelite in their NC distribution center for many years. He said the 540 was a Solo saw. The parts were sent from Solo to Homelite and assembled in the USA.
He worked there up until the end. He has a very nice NOS collection of Homelites that he continues to build on.

Its nice to hear, but I'd still like to see something documented before I'm a true believer. Its been a few years since I've been into a 540 or 8800, but I can't remember any "Made in W. Germany" items either on parts or on spare part packaging. 290s and 340s, its all over, and the 54 is identical, obviously Solo. The 540 and 8800 sure look like they could be, but again I can't be sold on this one just by word of mouth. To me, its still speculation.

Dan

IMG_4283.PNG
Its nice to hear, but I'd still like to see something documented before I'm a true believer. Its been a few years since I've been into a 540 or 8800, but I can't remember any "Made in W. Germany" items either on parts or on spare part packaging. 290s and 340s, its all over, and the 54 is identical, obviously Solo. The 540 and 8800 sure look like they could be, but again I can't be sold on this one just by word of mouth. To me, its still speculation.

Dan
See pic.

I checked with a fellow collector that worked for Homelite in their NC distribution center for many years. He said the 540 was a Solo saw. The parts were sent from Solo to Homelite and assembled in the USA.
He worked there up until the end. He has a very nice NOS collection of Homelites that he continues to build on.
That may be the reason why parts for these saws are hard to get.

So here's a sample why I'm being so stubborn about this Solo thing. There's a sprocket, oiler parts, anti-vibe, starter and drive case covers, just a random smattering of parts for 540/8800/DM54/MP88 type saws, and they all have a made in USA stamp on em. You can look at other stuff like gaskets, etc, and you'll see mostly USA. If you look at a crankcase half, you'll see Lunt, which is the same foundry that made Homelite magnesium parts since Alcoa did their last and Lunt took over.

I admit, there are some parts on em that are from Germany, and significant parts too. The cylinders are Mahle, which is a German company and make a ton of cylinders everyone is familiar with. I didn't dig out a crank or piston, but I'd bet they're German too, even though until I look and see I'd never say for certain. Obviously there's a strong German influence, and most likely from Solo, on these saw's design. There's no denying it. Its just, to say these are Solo saws is for me going a little too far. Saying they "probably" were engineered with Solo either at the helm or with a big role, that's undeniable. Homelite obviously was in some kind of partnership with Solo. It's just that to say that 540/8800s were Solo saws when easily over 1/2 the parts (going by count) still said made in USA is, well, just doesn't say the whole deal. There had to be a little more too it that isn't being said. 290 and 340 are a different animal, no doubt Solo up/down/left and right. It just don't seem quite right though to lump the 540s into the same pot.

Dan

P1020933.JPG

Early Super EZ auto oiler.

Looking for some ideas to get the auto oiler going.

This is the oil system where there is one pick up line in the oil tank.The auto oiler has a spring and check ball in it.

The manual oiler pulls oil and works fine.

I can see pulsing at the bar pad discharge port when the saw is running which would mean to me that either auto oiler isn't pulling oil or there's an air leak.

The check valve in the auto oiler seems to be functioning. I think the auto oiler is supposed to pull oil through the manual oiler feed or?

Anything I'm missing here?

Early Super EZ auto oiler.

Looking for some ideas to get the auto oiler going.

This is the oil system where there is one pick up line in the oil tank.The auto oiler has a spring and check ball in it.

The manual oiler pulls oil and works fine.

I can see pulsing at the bar pad discharge port when the saw is running which would mean to me that either auto oiler isn't pulling oil or there's an air leak.

The check valve in the auto oiler seems to be functioning. I think the auto oiler is supposed to pull oil through the manual oiler feed or?

Anything I'm missing here?

Don't know for sure Tim...even though I've had a few of those apart. Just some random thoughts. There were at least two styles of pumps. I have only seen one with the input hose. I know the actual pump/gear can be swapped if necessary from one style pump to another. Sounds like you have the one with the manual input/feed through the back of the drivecase.

1. O-rings on the back of the pump. I have encircled those in Motoseal on the pump and case to make a "better" seal.
2. The worm and pump gear engaging continuously? The worm tight against clutch?
3. Can you roll the pump gear with your finger when it is off of the saw (with the input hole submerged in oil) and see that it slowly moves fluid? Might eliminate the possibility of a leak in the pump body itself.
4. The copper input line that terminates to the backside of the drivecase (supplying the pump) is leaking? When I converted that blue XL-1 from manual only to auto pump I was worried about that connection. You cannot get to that one after the saw is back together. I think you could test that by blowing back through. Probably would test the check at the manual as well?
5. I've had one pump break off at the the cam screw. It fell out of the back of the copper bushing. Didn't oil so well after that.

Those pumps still think bar oil is $2.50 a gallon when they are healthy.

Latest posts

Back