Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkyle65

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are any of the New homelite chainsaws any good? Or should i look into an older used saw. Im looking for something Cheap that can be used as a backup saw and something to loan to friends ect.

Thanks Kyle

i think i will speak up for everyone on this one Red flag alert on buying new Homelite Poulan etc. get this made out of plastic dont last long at all even the clutch cover bar cover is made out of plastic is that safe NO!

the point im making is you have me you have kyle with edgeandengine you have some other people in this usa that has nos homelite parts we help each other by sending customers to each of us to get the parts people need on the older saws believe me i would stick with your 2 nd option you list get you a good used saw that is not a plastic saw and fix it accordingly

you do two things by doing this actually three you keep your hard earned funds in america you keep the good name of Homelite old saws alive you help one of us NOS homelite dealers out in the process for your parts needs

and you keep the funds from china getting them

so i hope i did not offend you but at least im looking out for your safety as well as your hard earned dollars from not going to waste

calvin

Last edited:
Depends on how you define "good". I would buy a mainstream saw, be it Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, or Echo. Built better, and a few years from now you will be able to get parts.

Mark

Doesnt have to be great I just bought a ms260 i really dont have a need for another great saw just something cheap

i think their 33cc is a pretty good saw for the money. i got one off ebay that was leaking bar oil. it was easy fix and now its one of my favorites.

They;re not terrible saws, theyre a bit better quality than the Poulans and significantly better than the Jenn Feng McCullochs. Still too much plastic on them, and too big of bars for their cc size. For what you would pay for one of those you can pick up an XL-12 and an SXL-AO which would outlast, outcut and flat out outperform any of the new stuff. The XL-12's and SXL's are almost impossible to kill short of running them on straight starting fluid, and will cut and cut until you're good and sick of it.

For what you would pay for one of those you can pick up an XL-12 and an SXL-AO which would outlast, outcut and flat out outperform any of the new stuff. The XL-12's and SXL's are almost impossible to kill short of running them on straight starting fluid, and will cut and cut until you're good and sick of it.

:agree2: :agree2:

They;re not terrible saws, theyre a bit better quality than the Poulans and significantly better than the Jenn Feng McCullochs. Still too much plastic on them, and too big of bars for their cc size. For what you would pay for one of those you can pick up an XL-12 and an SXL-AO which would outlast, outcut and flat out outperform any of the new stuff. The XL-12's and SXL's are almost impossible to kill short of running them on straight starting fluid, and will cut and cut until you're good and sick of it.
\
+2 :agree2:

An old Super XL or XL12 will cut well and can be had for cheap...an almost indestructable old design.

I bought one of those cheap 33cc Homies on ebay for like 60 bucks new. That was for kicks to see how cheap..cheap really was. That was 3 years ago and lots of hard hours ago. I have worn out two bars and countless chains. I modded muffler and got rid of the "limiters" on the carb adjustment screws. Those two changes made a huge difference in how it runs. And oevr the last fews years It just has run and run some more. My wife used it trimming hedge rows for a fencing project and for a limbing saw last summer. I used it for a trail and backup saw. The 33cc Homie took the place of my old XL-12 as a back saw to my Hobbie saws.

Last edited:
yea i saw some more homelite parts but im debating if i should get them or not

those parts date back to the 60s

i see my package of briggs parts only shows $ 5.50 the reserve is almost met lets just say that

only 1 day and few hrs left to it

hope that the price goes up more than 5.50

calvin

I bumped into this post as am trying to figure out whether a 20" bar which I was given is a keeper or not.
My friend had a Homelite chainsaw which was purchased from a 'home depot' type store for cheap. After not much use the plastic area under the sprocket cover got hot and melted.
He gave me the 20inch bar which still looks in good shape.
Are these of a decent calibre or just junk like the machine it was on?

Attachments

• 20200103_173959.jpg
    20200103_173959.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200103_174032.jpg
    20200103_174032.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200103_174050.jpg
    20200103_174050.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200103_174101.jpg
    20200103_174101.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 10
The old xl-12's are dead reliable and last a long time, good mid size saw choice. The xl-1's /super ez saws are very powerful for their weight, good small saw choice. Used parts and NOS stock are still out there.

Saw guy, measure the bar groove with some feeler gauges, if it is close to the .050 spec, keep it. If you see more than .060 junk it, or see if the groove is the same all the way around including the nose, you MIGHT be able to run .058 chain. If it's a chinese made bar it will have excessive groove width.

So you repair your own saws.

You say you loan the saw out to friends. I do not loan out good expensive chainsaws. I just take my good saw and go help them and run my own saw. (while they work)
If someone has to borrow a chainsaw usually they do not really know how to take care of it nor do they know how to use one safely.

I would get one that if I loaned it out, I would not really care if it did not return home.
This means in the Craftsman, Poulan category as a disposable saw.

The Stihl MS180's are priced fair, (maybe less than $200 from a stihl dealer) but I do not own one nor have I run one, I would not buy one as a loaner.

So you repair your own saws.

You say you loan the saw out to friends. I do not loan out good expensive chainsaws. I just take my good saw and go help them and run my own saw. (while they work)
If someone has to borrow a chainsaw usually they do not really know how to take care of it nor do they know how to use one safely.

I would get one that if I loaned it out, I would not really care if it did not return home.
This means in the Craftsman, Poulan category as a disposable saw.

The Stihl MS180's are priced fair, (maybe less than $200 from a stihl dealer) but I do not own one nor have I run one, I would not buy one as a loaner.
Okie the 180s will take a lot of abuse. My dad (88years old) beats the snot out of his. Don't ask why.:dumb2: Nothing I can do will change his mind on how to take care of it.
20200103_041030.jpg

The old xl-12's are dead reliable and last a long time, good mid size saw choice. The xl-1's /super ez saws are very powerful for their weight, good small saw choice. Used parts and NOS stock are still out there.

Once you decide what you want check out this site's members for a saw. I've had really good results from members here on used Stihs's and power heads and parts for other models.
You really have to be careful buying a used saw especially from flea bay, kinda like buying a pig in a poke or a pig that is wearing lipstick.

Saw guy, measure the bar groove with some feeler gauges, if it is close to the .050 spec, keep it. If you see more than .060 junk it, or see if the groove is the same all the way around including the nose, you MIGHT be able to run .058 chain. If it's a chinese made bar it will have excessive groove width.

I just restored an old Homie Super 2 top handle. It cleaned up beautifully and needed some new fuel lines and a primer bulb. I ended up building a chain tensioner for it because that was missing. The owner had managed to pour a batch of 2-cycle engine oil straight intro the fuel tank. I flushed and cleaned all that out, but it took awhile for the engine to kick the mix out that had made it into the carb and cylinder.

Regardless, the saw now runs very well and looks very good. It must be pushing 40 years old. The design reminds me of closed architecture:
HomeLite Super 2.JPG
My biggest complaint is that in order to replace the drive sprocket, the saw has to be practically taken apart. Many owners have hated that, but I guess most don't have to replace it very often. Parts for this saw are getting scarce as hens teeth. Some say the Homies like this one were never designed to wear out.

Latest posts

Back