ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Homelite Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by djkyle65, Oct 10, 2008.

1. djkyle65

djkyle65 ArboristSite Lurker

Are any of the New homelite chainsaws any good? Or should i look into an older used saw. Im looking for something Cheap that can be used as a backup saw and something to loan to friends ect.

Thanks Kyle

2. lawnmowertech37

lawnmowertech37 Banned

i think i will speak up for everyone on this one Red flag alert on buying new Homelite Poulan etc. get this made out of plastic dont last long at all even the clutch cover bar cover is made out of plastic is that safe NO!

the point im making is you have me you have kyle with edgeandengine you have some other people in this usa that has nos homelite parts we help each other by sending customers to each of us to get the parts people need on the older saws believe me i would stick with your 2 nd option you list get you a good used saw that is not a plastic saw and fix it accordingly

you do two things by doing this actually three you keep your hard earned funds in america you keep the good name of Homelite old saws alive you help one of us NOS homelite dealers out in the process for your parts needs

and you keep the funds from china getting them

so i hope i did not offend you but at least im looking out for your safety as well as your hard earned dollars from not going to waste

calvin

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  3. oldsaw

oldsaw "Been There, Milled That"

Depends on how you define "good". I would buy a mainstream saw, be it Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, or Echo. Built better, and a few years from now you will be able to get parts.

Mark

4. djkyle65

Doesnt have to be great I just bought a ms260 i really dont have a need for another great saw just something cheap

5. djkyle65

Maybe a good saw i could rebuild ?

6. 2manytoys4me

2manytoys4me ArboristSite Member

i think their 33cc is a pretty good saw for the money. i got one off ebay that was leaking bar oil. it was easy fix and now its one of my favorites.

7. AOD

AOD Addicted to ArboristSite

They;re not terrible saws, theyre a bit better quality than the Poulans and significantly better than the Jenn Feng McCullochs. Still too much plastic on them, and too big of bars for their cc size. For what you would pay for one of those you can pick up an XL-12 and an SXL-AO which would outlast, outcut and flat out outperform any of the new stuff. The XL-12's and SXL's are almost impossible to kill short of running them on straight starting fluid, and will cut and cut until you're good and sick of it.

8. Mike Van

Mike Van Addicted to ArboristSite

:agree2: :agree2:

9. Scooterbum

Scooterbum Addicted to ArboristSite

\
    +2 :agree2:

10. weimedog

weimedog Addicted to ArboristSite

An old Super XL or XL12 will cut well and can be had for cheap...an almost indestructable old design.

I bought one of those cheap 33cc Homies on ebay for like 60 bucks new. That was for kicks to see how cheap..cheap really was. That was 3 years ago and lots of hard hours ago. I have worn out two bars and countless chains. I modded muffler and got rid of the "limiters" on the carb adjustment screws. Those two changes made a huge difference in how it runs. And oevr the last fews years It just has run and run some more. My wife used it trimming hedge rows for a fencing project and for a limbing saw last summer. I used it for a trail and backup saw. The 33cc Homie took the place of my old XL-12 as a back saw to my Hobbie saws.

11. lawnmowertech37

lawnmowertech37 Banned

good post there aod

12. AOD

AOD Addicted to ArboristSite

Thanks Calvin.

I just saw a SXL-925 on Fleabay that was about to expire, was only up to $78, if only I had a bit more disposable income.......

13. lawnmowertech37

lawnmowertech37 Banned

yea i saw some more homelite parts but im debating if i should get them or not

those parts date back to the 60s

i see my package of briggs parts only shows $ 5.50 the reserve is almost met lets just say that

only 1 day and few hrs left to it

hope that the price goes up more than 5.50

calvin