Homelite EZ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to be surprised at how well that saw cuts when you get it running right. Got mine used and cut firewood for 25 years with no problems.

But I DON'T WANNA CUT FIREWOOD! Shut up Son! But I don't WANNA CUT FIREWOOD! Shut up Son. But MaMa I DON'T WANNA CUT FIREWOOD. Shut up Son and stick your hand back in the chainsaw!

LOL!

Also since you replaced fuel line, make sure it doesn't have a tear in it, or it will suck air instead of fuel.

Yes, I have made sure that there is no tear. Saw is running, just needs a little more tweaking, and running after hanging on that nail in that shed for who knows how long!

"The old man hung the saw on the nail right before he went into the house for the last time. He thought he would get to use that old saw again, but instead he went to the nursing home where he died."

Cliff

So here's what I think will be my Final Report on the Homelite Super EZ; Well, this saw is fixed to the point that it starts on the third pull from totally cold. It runs well enough to bury it in green Black Locust and doesn't bog or slow down. Then after it's warmed up, it starts with a single pull every time. It seems to be oiling well, though I still haven't managed to get the hose for the manual oiler installed.

Right now it's smoking like a mosquito fogger, but I am running very heavy on the oil just to make sure not to run it too lean on oil. Any input anyone can give me on mix would be greatly appreciated. I'm running full synthetic mix oil, and I don't think it needs to be mixed 30 to 1 like the oil that was available when this saw was made. But then I just don't know either. I don't want to blow it up by skimping on the oil! I do know that it seemed to be wearing an awful lot of very sticky oil mixed with sawdust when I got it, and a lot of time was spent cleaning that gunk off!

It idles well enough to sit for 5 minutes running and never quit. This from a cold start and when fully warm. This seems to be one good running saw, and I sincerely appreciate all the help and advice I've been given here on AS.
Great bunch of folks!

Thanks all,

Cliff

Glad to hear that you got your saw cutting again!

If it smokes that bad with 30:1, the high speed screw may be set too rich...?

Glad to hear that you got your saw cutting again!

If it smokes that bad with 30:1, the high speed screw may be set too rich...?

Well, I'm not running 30:1. I guessed that it would be good at about 40:1 to start since the mix is modern, full synthetic so I just threw in my regular 50:1 mix and then added some extra oil.

I guessed that after it runs for a bit I can run it on regular 50:1, but didn't know for certain. Like I said above, after as much work as I've put in getting this Absolutely Free Nail Hanger running, I sure don't want to blow it up! My buddy who I told about, and promised it to would probably start crying if that happened!

This has been an adventure, starting with a VERY crusty old saw that everyone else saw as scrap, and making it into a runner. There was no spark, the fuel filter was dissolved, the fuel line was trashed, the manual oil line was literally melted, and the chain was rusted to the bar and stiff as a board.

And now it cuts wood. And my friend will be able to use it to hurt himself! LOL. I really hope not, but it IS a dangerous machine. Not a single modern safety feature, and loud as all get out. And way more powerful than one would think by just looking at it.

Big ole long bar and chain. And did I say LOUD!

Anyway, once again, thanks to all who gave me input, and helped me in other ways to rebuild this Homelite Super EZ! It's been fun.

Cliff

Yes, definitely need the ear muffs with that thing.
I ran 1/2 pint to a gallon for years and made sure it was 4 stroking well out of the cut. I run about 45: 1 synthetic in all my saws now - from the 1950's to the present. Glad to hear you got it running well, just be careful since there is no chain brake.

Yes, definitely need the ear muffs with that thing.
I ran 1/2 pint to a gallon for years and made sure it was 4 stroking well out of the cut. I run about 45: 1 synthetic in all my saws now - from the 1950's to the present. Glad to hear you got it running well, just be careful since there is no chain brake.

I've read that about 25 times and I STILL don't know what "4 stroking" means! Can you please tell me.

I've read that about 25 times and I STILL don't know what "4 stroking" means! Can you please tell me.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-61-272-hybrid.308107/#post-6205385

Listen to the video in post #1. This saw is tuned rich for break in so the 4 stroke is very noticeable. You will notice when the saw is about an inch into the wood it "cleans up". A properly tuned saw should 4 stroke at wide open throttle (WOT) unloaded and clean up when put into wood.

OK, thanks for the reply and the video. I understand now. And yes, the EZ is running like that. I just want to make Absolutely certain that it's never run too lean so there's no chance that it blows up.

My friend got to sharpen the chain and run the saw in some hard pine and can't wait to get his hands on it permanently. But I CAN'T just give it to him after all the time and money I've put into it. I want him to appreciate it, and not take it for granted. So he's not getting it until he either pays me or does some work for me.

Thanks again,

Cliff

Welllllll, my friend FINALLY came up with some cash and took possession of the Super EZ! And he is really happy with it. He's already had a paying job with it, and managed to cut into a nail! It wrecked the sharpness, but fortunately it has a very tough old chain, and with some TLC he was able to get it sharp and cutting again.

I just hope he's not able to do what the old man couldn't do in 40 something years and wreck it permanently!

He does tend to be VERY HARD on everything he owns (truck, weed eater, his teeth, his girlfriend LOL) so just maybe he can keep this saw in one piece long enough to make Some Money with it!

Thanks to all on this site who helped me get the saw running unbelievably well. You folks are the BEST!

Cliff

Latest posts

Back