Homelite info...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<a href="http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/a17d735d551f0f1e88256b78005f6a7b?OpenDocument">XL-12</a>
<a href="http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/57a3b86d6acae4e188256c260048b728?OpenDocument">SUPER-XL</a>

The extensive list picks up the first model <a href="http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=48.127&Count=30&Expand=48#48">here</a>

I suppose I should look at the Chainsaw site links before I open my big, er.... keyboard....

Homelite came out with the old original XL-12 way back in like 1963 or something. I remember dad's original one.... red with some green on it. Later on they were blue. I think they were the first saw to get down to like 12 lbs, had about a 3.4 cu in motor. The super XL was a little bigger motor, but otherwise about the same.

The engine was a reed-valve lay-down type with "open" transfer ports. The rod big-end comes apart to allow assembly of needle bearings. IMO this type of rotating assy won't handle a lot of revs, but that was OK, because the rest of the motor was designed around better grunt at moderate RPM's

I remember seeing the last variations on the this theme on sale as late as about 5 years ago. THe "old Blue" and "big red" saws were an attempt at capturing some nostalgia, but John Deere also catalogued green ones. I wish I had a mint one of those, because I bet they were pretty uncommon.

The HOMELITE XL12 was 3.3 cu in & strickly manual oiler, single reed
The SXL was 3.55 cu in & had auto & manual oiler, 4 reeds
Later models went to Modules rather than Pts, cond & coil.

The late model NOS "Old Blues" are still floating around. They show up on ebay every once in awhile. I have most varitions of the XL-12 and SXl but I do not have the "Old Blue" that was sold as Homelite was circling the drain.

Bill

I certainly appreciate the feed back. That Chain Saw Collectors Corner is a wonderful source of info. Nothing like that in the Motorcycle cyber world.

I got my Super XL running yesterday. Nice running saw. Checked the Piston through the exaust port. A little scoring right at the exaust port, otherwise healthy.

My XL-12 runs but has much more scoring and less compression. Is ebay a place to find a top end or piston?

Thanks again for the feedback. (This is a great website!):cool:

The jugs and pistons for SXL's and XL-12's do occasionly show up on ebay but not very often. You have to rember that most of the Homelite stuff on ebay is stuff dealers stocked but never sold. The SXL/XL-12 parts were in demand thus sold by the dealer.

Bill

I saw a seller on Ebay just a few days ago with some REALLY rare Homelite parts, I just need to find the seller now. Its just amazing what you can get on ebay. I have seen the most unreal things there, commie related items, ancient chainsaws, chains, parts for my Homelite cut off saw... The list could go on forever but I'm stopping the train before it runs away.

The late model NOS "Old Blues" are still floating around. They show up on ebay every once in awhile. I have most varitions of the XL-12 and SXl but I do not have the "Old Blue" that was sold as Homelite was circling the drain.

Bill
I used to have an old blue almost mint and sold it for a good price. Kinda wish I'd kept it though..

Started out with a XL12 and got use to pumping the oiler[I like and believe in a lot of bar oil]. Then got a super xl auto--Kept pumping at 1st but noticed the auto oiler is doing well-trust it to get the chain/bar wellll lubed.:D Have not tried it on my bow yet just 18inch bar. David0917161601-01.jpg

That xl12 series are becoming my favorite.Easy to start ,idle all day,loud,vibes not to bad,easy to work on ,plenty of parts and saws still resonably priced,look cool, all magnesium,not to heavy,good paint colors...........David

Latest posts

Back