Homelite replacement gas cap..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banguts

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a replacement cap for my homelite. Only ones I've come across have the primer bulb. Would any of you happen to know of a retailer you could point me towards? Or would any of you happen to have an extra cap laying around? Or can I just use a cap with a primer bulb on it? Thanks!
e8fe4bcec61bad5cbfbcd0d0d5813eb2.jpg
9b9e3ba74255d8c037432924e7d93938.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

The reason you find a lot of the ones with the primer bulb, is because when Homelite still had them available,
they were charging over $25 a piece for them, so folks decided that it would be a good one to copy.

I'm having a hard time finding a replacement cap for my homelite. Only ones I've come across have the primer bulb. Would any of you happen to know of a retailer you could point me towards? Or would any of you happen to have an extra cap laying around? Or can I just use a cap with a primer bulb on it? Thanks!
e8fe4bcec61bad5cbfbcd0d0d5813eb2.jpg
9b9e3ba74255d8c037432924e7d93938.jpg

I have several #97359 gas and oil caps that are for the tanks with outside threads. The caps for the tanks with threads inside of tank were originally 70894 and 70893 red and black. Later they changed the number to 97359 and are all black.
chainsawlady

Just a hint:

Sometime back I was looking for replacement caps and seals for the Homelite XL2 type saws and like you was taken with the price of the caps and seals.
I seen a thread on this site where some guys had posted that some of the weed eater type gas tanks that have external threads caps will fit the Homelite saws. (and other type caps also)I seen the weed eater caps for lots less in price vs the chainsaw gas and oil caps.
I think a made a note of this and it's in my XL homelite folder notes in the shop. I'll post back later more info if I find the info.

I also found that I could select O rings from my O ring kit kit for the cap seals instead of using the OEM high dollar cork gasket seals. I do not remember if I used the o rings on both internal and external threaded caps types. I just added the o ring and left the old seal in place and on caps that the cork gasket was too flat and on some I had to remove the old bad cork seal. The o rings worked great and the caps did not have to be installed as snug using the o ring seal, but I do not remember if I used the o rings on both the internal and externals threaded type gas tanks caps.

Summary: Try looking at some weedeater caps and instead of buying high dollar cork gaskets, try just adding or replacing with a o ring.

Yeah, they are just the flat cork style, but that is a good suggestion (weed eater caps). Thanks for that idea. I'll have to swing by the habitat for humanity, they usually have a lot of weed eater parts.

I looked at my Homelites this AM and could not find where I had printed or noted about the weedeater gas caps, but I had a old Echo SRE-440AE and I removed the gas cap and it screwed onto my saw that looks like yours with the gas tank with the external threads. (internal threads on the cap) I did not see a gasket inside the hard plastic echo cap, seen a vent on top. The Echo weedeater cap looks like this one on ebay.

I also seen where I had a sheet of cork and made a punch from a piece of pipe ground sharp on one end to stamp cork gaskets for these type internal threaded caps.

The caps that I used the r rings on were the caps for the internal threaded gas tanks. (external threads on the gas and oil caps)

Appears the echo SRE-400AE weedeater gas cap could be used if a internal gasket is installed in the cap and the vent blocked because the gas and oil caps are not vented on the saw. I could not find a parts list for this 15 years old or older SRE model only seen listed as a 400AE parts. My echo gas cap is a very hard plastic and would not be wimpy like the Homelite caps.

But here is a seller on flea bay that has the two caps for $8

and another

and has gaskets

I did not find the caps readily available at a reasonable price when I needed caps for mine sometime back.
I was re-building and restoring some of the little saws that was given to me for use when 4 wheeling and hauling on a ATV for clearing roads.

Neat little saws if they start easy. Some of them do not start very easy if the carb is run dry and then stored.
Helps somewhat to prime them thru the cold muffler on initial start.

My last Homelite price list shows 92791 is replaced by A-97359 - one black cap only. instead of the original kit that included a red and black cap
chainsawlady

97359-A is the part number for the oil cap-- i have a few n.o.s left, 92701-A is for both caps. chainsawlady, did you buy a bunch of n.o.s. homelite parts from someone in minn. 6-7 years ago?

It's been sitting for a month or so, the little climbing I've done since then, I've just been using my ms250. But it's been pretty bad weather around here, and I've been remodelling a master bed/bath. But the saw fired right up on half choke. Got the saw for $20 about a year and a half ago, only other thing going on with it is the spark plug cable is kinda melting from touching the muffler, and now you can see inside of the cable. Sometimes the kill switch doesn't respond

Other than it dumping gas on me in the tree the other day, I've been totally happy with the saw.

Other than it dumping gas on me in the tree the other day, I've been totally happy with the saw.

The duckbill on the gas tank might be gone. My saw did that to me when I first got it. (Photo not my saw, just for illustration). Unless the issue was your gas cap.

20140331_111422a.jpg

I actually threw 2 of those saws in the stove last week. Would have gladly given them to the first person that showed up!

Back