Homelite super ez auto replacement.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelitexl903

CAD...The struggle is real.
Reaction score
What would be a good saw to replace my super ez auto? I was thinking Dolmar ps-421. I'm looking for a new lightweight saw for the small trees and limbs.

Many saws come to mind, Stihl 026,MS250 Husky 346,353. These will cut faster than the EZ and may weigh a little less. The EZ is no slouch but suffers from a chain that's too big, might do better with a .325 or a 3/8 LP.
I own Stihls and have had huskies and really like them but they cost a lot new and i'm looking for my first brand new saw. I don't come across big trees often and find myself using the super ez a lot. I love that little saw but I think it's time for AV and a chainbreak. I have an 18" on the EZ now and like your idea of smaller chain and maybe a smaller bar. I was thinking the Dolmar would cheaper than a stihl or husky new and a little better build than echo?

Most 50 cc saws made now are lighter than the super ez. It is the only 40cc saw I have ever run though that would pull 3/8 chain. The newer 40cc model often use lo profile 3/8 chain.

Most 50 cc saws made now are lighter than the super ez. It is the only 40cc saw I have ever run though that would pull 3/8 chain. The newer 40cc model often use lo profile 3/8 chain.
I totally agree, I dont know the exact reason but Homelite managed to make a little monster back then. I know I could buy a 50cc saw thats lighter and has more power than my Ez but I like the idea of less fuel consumption with the Dolmar 421 and I guess I started this because my local dealer in Maine sells stihl husqvarna and echo and was looking for a CAD enabler to convince me to try out a dolmar which i will buy at the dealer in tax free new hampshire. Also my Maine dealer is always Dsrp instead of Msrp which is always at least $50 higher plus sales tax.

I don't see that much wrong with Dolmar saws except for lack of dealerships in my area and high prices for parts. I have one close but he's about quit and went to mostly Echo. By the way, you might be surprised at how well the new Echo saws are built. That CS590 is a nice saw ,might be a little big for what you want but it has a few little brothers too. If it were me I'd prefer a new Echo to a Dolmar.

I don't see that much wrong with Dolmar saws except for lack of dealerships in my area and high prices for parts. I have one close but he's about quit and went to mostly Echo. By the way, you might be surprised at how well the new Echo saws are built. That CS590 is a nice saw ,might be a little big for what you want but it has a few little brothers too. If it were me I'd prefer a new Echo to a Dolmar.
I like my echos. I bought my cs-300 almost new off a lady who buys storage units and resells the contents and it was her first week open in her store and I got the saw and a dremel tool for $40. When I ran a few tanks in the echo I went to adjust the carb and saw these stupid red tabs on the adjustment screws and searched google and came across this site and how to remove tabs and muffler mod it and that was the beginning of me knowing i wasnt the only guy who was obsessed with chainsaws. I let my buddy borrow it and he managed to knock the muffler off and the bolts holding muffler on broke off so now i run it with no exhaust at all its loud but seems to be fine. I dont think reeds care much about scavenging like piston ported. Anyways I didnt know about exspensive dolmar parts and dont know the dealer and i know my local dealer is good. I guess I cant go wrong with echos five year warranty even if it cost me a little more money. Cs-400 or step up to 450 with that nice looking air filter?

I picked up a used Echo CS-370 with a 14" bar a couple weeks ago, nice little saw. I think the CS-400 is a little more power with not much more weight. Don't know what Dolmar, but seem like a good buy also.

I have a Dolmar P5100S which seems remarkably good considering it's only 50cc and has a 20" bar on it. I did put a new skip chain on it 3/8 050 If I remember right.
Just thought I'd mention: I only changed this to skip chain because the chain it had was worn out and a new skip chain was all I had at the time.

It appears to be a K095, which I think is the same as the Homelite 150. A low profile 3/8 or a 325 might be the way to go if you can find a 325 bar in that mount. Bars can be modified but I prefer to use the correct one if possible. It came out with a regular 3/8 bar and chain.

I own Stihls and have had huskies and really like them but they cost a lot new and i'm looking for my first brand new saw. I don't come across big trees often and find myself using the super ez a lot. I love that little saw but I think it's time for AV and a chainbreak. I have an 18" on the EZ now and like your idea of smaller chain and maybe a smaller bar. I was thinking the Dolmar would cheaper than a stihl or husky new and a little better build than echo?
The longest bar that was specified for the Super EZ was 16 in. The Super EZ's got their incredible power from the high compression ratio, not from the CC's.
That was the reason that they all had compression releases. I also own a Stihl 028 with the .325 pitch chain. On many occasions, I have outcut the 028 with the SEZ!

I would like to know which company makes a 50cc saw that is lighter than those little Homelites. I have two xl-1's, a variation of the super EZ, they average about 12.5 pounds with a 16" pro-lite bar, Stihl RS chain, and half gas/oil. Makes them a pound lighter than a Stihl 024av super. I can bury the bar in oak with no issues. These saws are exceptionally powerful for their size and weight even by today's standards.

FWIW I have 12 and 14 inch small husky mount bars and the SEZ really cuts nice with those. The 16" with full house 3/8 is a little much for it.

In an 10" cant my SEZ kept up very close to a Dolmar 420 after 3 cuts.

I'd also be interested to know what 50 cc model he was referring to. Seems that all 50 cc saws hover around that 10.8 lb mark.

Update for this thread. I got the Makita brand of the Dolmar 421. I really like everything about it. I find it to be very easy to start just like the super Ez. Oiler turned up is plenty enough. Power, weight and balance are also great just like the SEZ. The AV is comfortable and chain break is nice to have. Only thing I wish I had an option for would be a metal handle bar with rubber covering. I still have been collecting the Super EZ's since I first posted this. They are hard for me to resist. :)

Back