Homelite xl12 bar and chain upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old blue xl 12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to change my xl12 bar and chain from 16" to 20" any ideas on the make and model of bar and sizes I need , already have 16" STIHL ms 250 would like a longer bar for more reach. Thanks

Just go to ebay and search for 20 inch homelite chainsaw bar you will get all kinds of hits. Find one with the same pitch and gauge as the bar/chain you are running now.

The bars from the XL series will swap. I put a 16" off an XL12 on my XL924 because it was all I had with a sharp chain and I wanted to try the new to me 924. Then I put the 30" bar on the 12 for kicks and pics, Joe.

I might have an oregon 20", used, but not bad shape. But shipping it, you be better off getting new with a chain for around $35-40. I bought one for my SXL Auto at a local Fleet Farm store right off the shelf.

Let me know if you want it, I probably have a decent chain for it too.

also while you are that far into it, add a new sprocket with 1 more on it, so instead of the stock 7 rim sprocket put on an 8, it will make the chain spin faster which will improve cutting time

Back