HOMEMADE CHAINSAW TOOLS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, I was ready to post a Pic of a very usable tool I made to help fix Stihl chain brakes. After Tree Freak's ridiculous post, I guess that's not required. This thread suddenly became a joke. Are you guys serious? Please stop this nonsense. Got it?
difernt peoples different minds, just post the tool , someone like ,someone no, this is life

Dang, I was ready to post a Pic of a very usable tool I made to help fix Stihl chain brakes. After Tree Freak's ridiculous post, I guess that's not required. This thread suddenly became a joke. Are you guys serious? Please stop this nonsense. Got it?

I agree, its a real shame for that to be someone's only contribution to a thread. There are plenty of 'off-topic' threads to play in....

Its a simple little tool, but I have something handy for spline screws on carbs. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow.

OK. Here is the tool I made for helping to refasten the strong chain brake spring that is used on almost all chainsaws that Stihl sells today and upwards of 20 years ago or more. Doing it with a screwdriver is almost impossible, although I managed to do it after severe frustration using two screwdrivers at once. Stihl offered a Pic of one in a couple of service manuals and perhaps even sold it at a few shops. My dealer, however, never had one in stock, so I decided to make an equivalent. This one works:

Another view:

I made the steel blade using a 5/16" ordinary bolt about 3" long. I cut off the head with a hacksaw and then milled a flat about 3/8" long, a little over halfway though. I milled a fillet inside the flat with a 1/4" dia. grinder stone to produce a cup shape on the inside where the flat was. That fillet eventually mates with the stud in the case that secures the strong spring.

Next I embedded the threads of the bolt inside a hardwood oak handle with a pre-drilled hole. Being a woodworker, it was easy for me to turn the handle on a small lathe. The threads on the bolt sink into a 9/32" blind hole that I drilled with a hand drill slightly over an inch deep, holding the handle horizontally and tight with a vise as I drilled. That handle will hold the machined blade forever and give you the leverage that you need.

Now I can use this tool very easily to set and once again attach the strong spring that controls the chain brake. That's a piece of cake with this tool but an absolute bear cat without it. The strong spring slips over the round shaft of the blade and slides down on the back side. You then remove the blade of this tool and the spring snaps into place onto the stud. A dab of grease or bar oil on the back side of the blade allows the end of the spring to slide down and off a bit easier.

Cheers!

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-4_19-13-48.png
    upload_2014-12-4_19-13-48.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 73
OK. Here is the tool I made for helping to refasten the strong chain brake spring that is used on almost all chainsaws that Stihl sells today and upwards of 20 years ago or more. Doing it with a screwdriver is almost impossible, although I managed to do it after severe frustration using two screwdrivers at once. Stihl offered a Pic of one in a couple of service manuals and perhaps even sold it at a few shops. My dealer, however, never had one in stock, so I decided to make an equivalent. This one works:

Another view:

I made the steel blade using a 5/16" ordinary bolt about 3" long. I cut off the head with a hacksaw and then milled a flat about 3/8" long, a little over halfway though. I milled a fillet inside the flat with a 1/4" dia. grinder stone to produce a cup shape on the inside where the flat was. That fillet eventually mates with the stud in the case that secures the strong spring.

Next I embedded the threads of the bolt inside a hardwood oak handle with a pre-drilled hole. Being a woodworker, it was easy for me to turn the handle on a small lathe. The threads on the bolt sink into a 9/32" blind hole that I drilled with a hand drill slightly over an inch deep, holding the handle horizontally and tight with a vise as I drilled. That handle will hold the machined blade forever and give you the leverage that you need.

Now I can use this tool very easily to set and once again attach the strong spring that controls the chain brake. That's a piece of cake with this tool but an absolute bear cat without it. The strong spring slips over the round shaft of the blade and slides down on the back side. You then remove the blade of this tool and the spring snaps into place onto the stud. A dab of grease or bar oil on the back side of the blade allows the end of the spring to slide down and off a bit easier.

Cheers!
very nice and clever

I also made a tool similar but I used a philips screw driver and ground it to a shape that works VERY well!
Then I made a very similar tool to put the tiny spring on after the brake handle is put in place. Contrary to the STIHL way, I know but SO MUCH easier!

I had a need for a case splitter so I decided to make one. Got together with Glock37 and heres what we came up with. Have about a dozen getting fabbed up right now. I used it on my 044 project and it worked awesome. Found the plans here that someone posted.

cb7d684de89fa7b69b6f5ba583faf0ed.jpg

That case splitter is nice ! How much will they go for when completed, assuming you will sell them ?

Seal puller and clutch remover for small husky, I made one for Poulans looks just like this one but with two studs.IMG_20141205_112854.jpg

Great job on the case splitter!!!

I would sure be interested in one also!!!!

Redfin, I like your seal puller!!!! Looks like it would work awesome. I made one out a screwdriver but have to use brute force instead of leverage....works but I bet not like yours!!

Back