HOMEMADE CHAINSAW TOOLS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfin I wonder if one of those square parking tools could be used as a clutch tool?

image_20553.jpg
I bet this could be modified to work on some.

It looked like some of the pics were missing from the last AS site crash. These threads are helpful but it looked like
the PDF for the template was missing from my view. I'd like to have the pdf of the jaw-side outline. The rest will
be no problem. Thanks for posting!

I know this is not a homemade tool, but I bought one of these and have used it a number of times on different makes and models to remove the clutch. I love it when I can buy something and repurpose it for a need I have rather than purchasing an expensive tool. I am all for making tools but if I don't have to reinvent the wheel, or at least redesign it for me needs, it saves me time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-pin-wrench-36554.html
I'm pretty sure it was here on AS that I read of someone that drilled the side of the jaws of a crescent wrench to something very similar to this

This thread could be expanded and enhanced to include "Home Made Parts" in addition to tools. I have made many parts in the shop in an effort to improve the chain saw's design and operation and also to replace parts that are no longer available. Some are very subtle and easy to make. Others are not. Just thought I'd make that suggestion. Then there are components and jigs that fall somewhere between parts and tools. For example, I've made three of these saw chain spools that hold about 200' of bulk chain apiece. I find them to be an improvement over the OEM's cardboard:

Another view:

Made mostly of hardwood, the round sides of the spool are just 1/4" pressed wood or masonite, screwed to the ends. The axle is 3/4" conduit, pinned to the spool's 3" thick octagonal wood center with a couple of screws. This might be a bit fancy for you, but it could be simplified and work just as well. I can probably get three or perhaps even four layers layers of chain on this spool.

Could someone PM me with the PDF that has the layout for the splitter sides. This will be very easy to fab.
Thanks in advance

This looks interesting. Much like the Stihl seal puller. I wish I learned how to weld. Dammed quantum physics !!!!!!

OK. Here is the tool I made for helping to refasten the strong chain brake spring that is used on almost all chainsaws that Stihl sells today and upwards of 20 years ago or more. Doing it with a screwdriver is almost impossible, although I managed to do it after severe frustration using two screwdrivers at once. Stihl offered a Pic of one in a couple of service manuals and perhaps even sold it at a few shops. My dealer, however, never had one in stock, so I decided to make an equivalent. This one works:

Another view:

Holy cow, I have one of those that I got in a box of random chainsaw tools, and I didn't even know what it was for.

Back