Homemade Crankcase Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So, I've got a couple different saws, or three maybe, that need to be pulled apart to replace bearings, crankshaft, etc. and needed to split the cases. I've used the Stihl tool before and it was really nice. I've also seen other people use a bar and a gear puller. I decided to make my own Stihl style puller. I had some help at the shop - at one point, all four of us were working on the pullers at the same time, lol. Rough cut pieces.
C6D1C9F6-0B7F-4B34-B0D0-9558CA2B8006-1493-000001F7E054DF0A_zps57b3f335.jpg

Made the screws. All ready to weld up.
ACB425D6-12E4-4C29-888A-09D4EB874BB7-1493-000001F7E87CCB8D_zpsf46915d2.jpg

Got a little careless with where the parks from the grinder were going. Burned through three shirts, but my belly hair must be made of asbestos because I didn't have one mark on me or one singed hair.
A32F4E0E-F43B-4B79-B00E-548F9F110C05-1493-000001F7F900A532_zps9f15eb3b.jpg

The mechanically finished product (will probably sand down and paint later).
40678B86-3580-4E70-AB29-F8E88E056D6B-1493-000001F813480576_zps231197c8.jpg

Got it on a saw (MS660 case)
B690E48A-34F2-47E9-B9F0-E716F682F3A1-1493-000001F823941120_zpsd906fbce.jpg

And now see her in action.

I think it turned out pretty dang good. I'll weld the second one up later and get them both painted. Well worth the time and effort to make. Hope you enjoyed the show!

Nice looking tool
How do you remove the crank from the other half?

splitting a case i use a vice,small torch,brass drift and hammer.
When i assemble i use the vise,small torch, the when the case is bolted almost tight i sometimes give the crank a knock to get
it straight to rotate smoothly

Nicely done ! :rock: Wish I was that good with a welder. I use a piece of all-strut and a 2 jaw gear puller.

Thanks for the pictures, I need to make one up this weekend. I made a post a few days ago lookin for ideas on how to make one. I got a few good ideas now. Thanks again! I have a ms361 with a broken case and a 026pro that needs seals. So looks like your tool will be useful.

Thanks for this thread - until recently all my saws were clamshels, but this is something I'll have to learn about eventually. Naturally there is no way I would buy a tool......

Thanks for the pictures, I need to make one up this weekend. I made a post a few days ago lookin for ideas on how to make one. I got a few good ideas now. Thanks again! I have a ms361 with a broken case and a 026pro that needs seals. So looks like your tool will be useful.

You dont need to split the 026 case to replace the seals. It can be done from the outside...remove the flywheel and clutch. Lots of good info here about seal replacement.

Here is another way to split a case if you don't have a welder but can drill holes in metal accurately. Not much to it a piece of channel iron and a puller that can be bought at the local auto parts store. I had to split the cases on some big saw to put in new bearings and this worked slick for doing the job. This takes a bit more set-up than the one the OP posted but the principal is the same.

The pics are backward from the way I wanted them to be viewed. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
looks nice. How many sizes of saw will it fit?

Nice looking tool
How do you remove the crank from the other half?

splitting a case i use a vice,small torch,brass drift and hammer.
When i assemble i use the vise,small torch, the when the case is bolted almost tight i sometimes give the crank a knock to get
it straight to rotate smoothly

Thanks. I believe it will fit just about any pro series stihl saw. I would imagine it will fit many other saws, possibly any saw with that style of crankcase. I know this particular one has split an MS660 and an 026 so far. I just used a hammer to tap the other side of the crank out. I'll have to make me another tool for the other side and figure out my method for reinstalling crankshafts.

I like the husky style splitter better. One tool pretty much does about all saws. Had to grind a little off it once on a small saw but WTH. Had a couple fine splitters like you before I knew I could walk out with the factory husky one for less than 60 bucks.. Might be more now? Has been a few years. I think there is a couple threads on how to build the husky one too.

Latest posts

Back