homemade lowering device

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it needs some final finishing but it works great! if anyone want a list, let me know. all thats involved is a little shopping and 6 welds.

Looks like it would move around on the tree alot because of how the reciever hitch isnt as wide as the rest were it hits the tree.

The tubes are directly over the holes where it mounts. And i have hooks attatched to the outter most holes for a second strap.

I would definatelt like to see how it mounts to tree and maybe a short demo video....... Interesting...

I just the posts. I do have some video of it in action. Its mig welded. Multiple passes. It works great. And it stays in place on the tree. But, you could notch the trunk if you wanted

I was thinking of making one a few days ago, but decided to order a port a wrap because I didn't have time to make one. Looks nice. I will be making a second lowering device to go along with my port a wrap for sure after seeing yours.

This is my first post to the forum - i hope i do it right!

Here's my version... 3" steel pipe welded ( flux-core MIG) to 3/16" steel plate. Loops and cross pins are 1/2" steel rod. 1" x 3/16" flat bar border to stiffen the plate. While I haven't tried it yet, I plan to notch the trunk to help secure. I only plan on using this during removals. I hope the paint rubbing/burning off doesn't harm my rope!

I have used mine all year. I fasten it to the tree with a 10,000lb ratchet strap. it will catch a 500lb piece without even shifting. having 2 sides makes it very handy. I can work with a block on each side of the tree, control the fall angle of large limbs, have a zip line and lowering line at the same time ect...

i'd have to say your paint is going to be gone where the rope runs. it wont hurt the rope and its good to have the paint everywhere else so it doesn't rust.

I'll have to look for some up close pics. I can take pics of it tomorrow too. I can even send you some with a list of parts. It works awesome!

2f13ec8073a031bcb124428ad849c130.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I built several Porta wraps and then took some time and built this rigging block. The only inconvenience is that the drum isn't tapered and you have to stop and dress the rope so it doesn't overlay. We've pulled spars up and even lifted off houses during storm damage. We use the short rope with prussic to hold load pressure to readjust the rigging line during long pulls. Built in 200520150507_090952.jpg

Back