Honda 5.5hp what motor oil is best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

automaticman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
'Got a Troy Built with a Honda 5.5 hp mptor. Can I use automitive oil like Castrol 10W30, or 4 stroke 10W30 small engine oil?

I would use what ever oil is avaliable. It is all pretty good nowadays. I have to say tho my personal choice in rotella 10w30. Its a buck or more a quart but it still has the zinc in it like the oil in the old days. It seem to me the engines dont get as hot. Just my .02

See the owner's manual for recommended viscosity. There is no reason to use a small engine specific oil. Seriously, there is a place for fancy oil like synthetic oil in an air cooled motorcycle but you can use any commercial automotive engine oil of the right viscosity and API rating for your Honda.

You will be fine with super-tech oil from walmart.

Most people don't even change oil in the small engines.

I would go online to Honda's website and check it out. Some of the small engines require straight 30W.

I think factors such as age and what the motor is on play a role in your choice here, if we are talking log splitter and it is a used one, I would go with a premium synthetic like royal purple for the first change to see how bad the internals are, it will turn brown quicker if it it is dirty or you have significant blowby.

I just put Castrol 10W-30 full synthetic in the Honda 5.5 on my splitter this past weekend. 18.5 ozs I believe.

Thanks for your input. I was told not to use automotive 10W30 but to use only small engine 10W30. Is auto. oil OK to use?

get what ya pay for but go with full synthetic Amsoil small engine oil 10w-30 protect it and be done proofs in the puddin!!!!:msp_smile:

As others have stated, I like the idea of following the manual's suggestion. This is an example of what you'll find in the manual for a newer small engine:

BSoilRec2009.jpg

something to think about is adding lucas oil stabilizer.. we used this for years now ,and i have had trucks come in out of oil and still wont blow up...i had a van 1997 e 350 come in with engine knock, was getting new engine..
installed lucas oil treatment, drained it and run it in the back lot for two hours full throttle ( brick on pedal) would not blow! ended up driving it 20 miles to our other shop with out oil in it, still didn't blow..made me a believer....:rock:

get what ya pay for but go with full synthetic Amsoil small engine oil 10w-30 protect it and be done proofs in the puddin!!!!:msp_smile:

I use this also.While any of the oils discussed will work I believe this is the best. The only problem is that my carb will probably crap out from E10 long before anything else on the motor.

'Got a Troy Built with a Honda 5.5 hp mptor. Can I use automitive oil like Castrol 10W30, or 4 stroke 10W30 small engine oil?
Amsoil small engine oil. I had a supersplit log splitter that was 20 years old with the original 3 hp briggs that still ran fine, that had amsoil it's whole life. Had valve guide wear on the exhaust, but still ran fine all day long. Do yourself a favor, you'll get to see for your self. Change it once a year and forget it. Your talking less than 2 quarts of oil.

I use this also.While any of the oils discussed will work I believe this is the best. The only problem is that my carb will probably crap out from E10 long before anything else on the motor.
Run Seafoam, simple to do, done and no problems with fuel lines , etc. Plus cleans the carbon from your valves , piston top, etc. Fuel stays good for a year or two. Works, done, move on. See for yourself and then come back and post next year.

Run Seafoam, simple to do, done and no problems with fuel lines , etc. Plus cleans the carbon from your valves , piston top, etc. Fuel stays good for a year or two. Works, done, move on. See for yourself and then come back and post next year.

How does Seafoam work? Do you dump it in the fuel tank or spray in the carb?

Latest posts

Back