Honda GX390 for sawmill build?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnManIdaho

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm wanting to build a mill and looking into options for the motor, It will be used mostly to mill posts and dimensional lumber for a pole barn, but i would like to overbuild it just in case i come across some hardwoods. I do not have access to power where i will be milling, would the Honda GX390 be a good unit to build my mill around or should i look at going bigger?

The 13hp gx390 is hands down one of the best small engines ever built. Plenty of power for a decent size mill. My old since gone harbor freight mill had only a 8hp and it sawed excellent. Our new mill has a 23hp vangard and it is also a excellent motor. If you come across a briggs vangard they are great motors. The cost to purchase a small mill brand new is much cheaper than most people can build one. Seems like there are many mill's in the sub 3k with some even as low as sub 2k. I like sawing more than fabricating. I fab more out of necessity when I break sh*t.

Thanks! I was thinking it would do the trick. I have my eye out for a used mill, however i cant find anything for under $3k. Fortunately we have a pacific steel in town and i am already a regular customer since i do some welding on the side, im hoping to keep my build cost under $1k.

If you are having to buy most the material I can't see having a sub 1k budget. Anything is possible don't get me wrong. If you get a great deal on steel, band wheels, bearing etc it might be doable. The motor will run you around 350. Friend Has a gx390 on a pulp loader and a smaller mill. The recoil broke on the loader motor but haven't bothered fixing it we just use a piece of strap off a lift of 2x6s. It starts first pull every time. If

eh we will see if i can stick under it but I figure if I can build for less then a HF one at $1600 and have a superior product I will be ok. Where are you finding those motors for $350?

I was thinking the harbor freight clone 13hp. Which by all means will serve you well and save you some coin.

thanks mesupra, i had not considered a HF motor but I have heard that the predators are pretty reliable. That should definitely keep my under $1k I hope.

I've always thought the military surplus teleydyne would be a nice power plant for a mill but I don't think you can beat the price of a predator

Latest posts

Back