Honey Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawmute

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What about Honey Locust to burn? I've worked with it over the years - the big thorn clusters (some are 6" - 8" long) are a drag and they'll flatten a tire on a tractor/loader/pickup/ATV in an instant. Had to have one cut out of my leg once that hit me like a hypodermic needle and broke off against the shin bone.

A pretty nice one was washed down by recent Gustav floods in the river bottom down below my house, and I'm considering cutting it up - after I cut up a huge Red Oak there that went down too. I'll have to take an axe and whack off all the thorn (spikes actually) clusters first, get rid of them, and chain onto the logs to skid them away from where the tree fell (I don't want my tractor anywhere near that thing with the rash of flat tires I've fixed lately).:dizzy:

The Honey Locust does make good fence posts, is easy to split and is rot resistant, but I don't know anything about how it burns other than what the BTU/wood trait tables say. Does it dry OK & burn well? The Honey Locust is about twenty yards behind this Red Oak that I've got a good start on since this photo.

Does anybody burn Honey Locust?

09-08-08offload202.jpg

Note: The high water took down tons and tons of wood here in Arkansas & all over the place.

09-08-08offload204.jpg

Yes, it's awesome firewood. Pretty similar to black locust in heat. It's even easy to split by hand. It does seem to take a good while to dry.

Latest posts

Back