Hook up thermostat for Outdoor Wood Boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rob, seeing how im rite in youre neighborhood i'll give you some help. Call kurt lavalley@ 493 1218. Lavalley plumbing and heating , i had same issue when i tied my CB into my existing system. solution was seperate low voltage t-stat and a relay. now i can control either oil burner or boiler w the respective t-stat. 1 t-stat will fire oil furnace and run blower using existing fan limit switch,the other t-stat will operate the blower to blow air across the coil in the plenum.Call him n tell him bill from deer river referred you,if you want. Good luck,bill

No Respect.....

Well, I have a couple idea's that will work no problem. One is a remote sensor, tied into digital display controller, then from there you can do a ton. I have a few idea's, but to be honest, none are within a reasonable $$$ figure. I'll assume you want to spend let's say $50, ain't gonna happen, Sorry. Now at that $150 mark, i'll set you up with part #'s and diagrams. Give me a couple days, i'll come up with a cheap alterative.

Here is a longshot, do you own a Fluke Meter? We could install a type j,k,l temp probe in water tube. This would run with dirt cheap class-2 wire to Fluke meter. Kinda dumb, but flip fluke on to read temp.....+/- .1 degree accuracy. Sensor only $20 I bet.

Let me ponder......

I'm almost positive you can get a White-Rogers programmable t-stat with a remote sensor. Look at Grainger.com Should be cheeeep.

I'll check back later, maybe one of these Hvac Tech's will chime in, and i will use the word Tech's loosely ;)

Maybe'''''

Here's one option Go to Grainger.com Search "Panel mount thermometer". Look at those. As far as t-stat thing in rear for switching as you asked, not a problem.....Bruce

That's it....I'm toast

Yup, No cheap way of doing it. You want a Caddy for the price of a Buick. Going to have to spend some $$$ and do it up right. Prolly need an Electrician as well, or good Hvac fella. Either way, it will be done right first time and hopefully trouble free. Don't bother trying yourself, not to be negative, but when I start troubleshootin somebody elses mess, well, you can guess the new adjusted hourly rate hike. This is not a dangerous project by no means, but you better have a very good grasp of control wiring. Bruce

Wirenutt.. do I understand you correctly ? I went to Grainger and found the panel mount thermometers. Can one of these be wired to the thermostat in the rear and the temp will be shown in the front on the panel mount ? Like I said, I'm not sure what the probe ( if any ) looks like, just that its a screwdriver slot in the mechanism to adjust the water temp..

:confused: :dizzy:

Sorry No:

No they are two independant items. Thermometer is just what it is, just a display, no control. You are going to have to invest $150 plus for parts to do what you want. Then put labor on it, misc parts, $300 plus......There is just no cheap way my friend. Like I said, contact someone local, tell what you want for operational control, they should be able to figure it out. Sorry, no new saw for you!!!!

I worry...

Hey, Panhead, Wirenut....Let's write a book about how do do some redneck-style control wiring...but, who pays for the liability insurance we're bound to need after someone eiether electrocutes themselves or burns their house down? Seriously tho, I remember seeing a post on The Wall over at heatinghelp.com about a wireless remote thermometer, gotta look up that puppy...going to set it up on my primary loop from the OWB, so I can see the supply temp, have alarm set up if it drops below say....150 deg. or so.:dizzy: :confused: :buttkick:

Holly Hanna Batman......

That's cheap. Will prolly work good for average joe. No offense.....Most of these work well, but have so many parameters to set your ears start to bleed. That looks identical to Red Lion, but they cost $150+. On a serious note: You can get killed from 5 volts/250 Milliamp. So just cause us folks here say ah.......low voltage, no problem, think again. So we all want to save $250 on a Hvac/electrician bill, but what is your home worth. Can't put a value to my dogs, kids, or wife, o'kay maybe the wife.....

Not to be rude: Stick with what you know! Know your limitations. Christ, support your local small business folks. That's what there for. The minute we start tweeking all our basic home controls, out go all warranties. Then, you must remember, that poor bastad who buys your home when you move on. He has problems, calls an hvac fella, watch out. if he is like me, as stated earlier: if I need to clean up your cobbled mess, prepare yourself when you open your invoice with my letterhead on it.

My final note on this thread: Less is better, do it old school and be dun wit it!:censored:

Hey, Panhead, Wirenut....Let's write a book about how do do some redneck-style control wiring...but, who pays for the liability insurance we're bound to need after someone eiether electrocutes themselves or burns their house down? Seriously tho, I remember seeing a post on The Wall over at heatinghelp.com about a wireless remote thermometer, gotta look up that puppy...going to set it up on my primary loop from the OWB, so I can see the supply temp, have alarm set up if it drops below say....150 deg. or so.:dizzy: :confused: :buttkick:

Mt: Never seen/heard such a critter? I assume Honeywell? If you are correct....SWEEEEETTTT. That would help alot of these folks out tremendously. Yeh, A guy could draw and post 6 generic wiring schematics for owb or wood stove controls to tie into home hvac system. That would just open up wayyyy to many cans of worms...

I'll fully admit it fellas: I'M DUMB, NOT STUPID:monkey:

Just wanted you guys to know how I made out. I ended up purchasing a Honeywell RA89A switching relay and it works perfect. Thanks for the help everyone.

Rob

With that fan switch jump RtoG it is 24v so you wont get whacked.this should bring fan on This is the same as setting your tstat switch to "fan on" I cant really see that control you have If you post number along with tail numbers of control I can help you more. If this works just wire the 2 tstat wires to these terminals but be sure to set the fan to low speed cause with that setup you will tend to pull a lot of heat out of coil and if you use R-G you will not have the fan limit switch to shut down fan when it gets too cool.

Thank GOD I found this forum! I purchased a used Taylor OWB and installed it myself, but was having problems figuring out how to thermostatically control the inhouse furnace fan. Piece of cake once I came across your info here, however I had to disconnect the A/C because it came on when I hooked up a secondary t-stat to the R&G terrminals to control the fan only.

Now for my questions: I have an older model Whirlpool natural gas furnace (about 15 years?), how do I set the fan speed to low?

And does it matter what the fan limit switch is set to for this application?

Thanks for the wonderful advice. I'm just a hard workin' mama, trying to avoid a service call and save the family a little cash. Do I deserve a beer now?

Fan/limit switch should be in line BEFORE the relay..DO NOT BYPASS IT!
Look at the wiring diagram with the furnace...red=low speed, black=hi, yel=med.,some are different...most follow this color coding scheme. I wired my fan on low for heat...hi/med. hi for A.C.

help need help

hello purchased a used outdoor wood boiler have all the lines hooked up to exchanger in my oil furnace now i need to wire another thermostat in i want it to run the fan not the oil furnace, i purchased a honeywell r8285a1048 fan center but the directions suck i need help.... thanks paul

Latest posts

Back