Hot Rod Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So John R what saws are you running.

I just cut firewood and do a little clean up around the house and land, I like to cut, but seems like you guy's love to cut, witch is not a bad thing.
Sorry For all the questions, was just curious that's all.
I have a MS 250 with a 16 inch bar, and a MS 361 with a 20 inch bar.

Not a silly question in my book, why would you build a little saw, that won't cut or perform as good as a bigger saw?

Not trying to pick a fight, just asking that's all.
You guy's act like I peed on your cornflakes.

WEIGHT.

why do ya put the big motor in a little car? Why do big ones look good on a skinny chick but not on a 400 pound woman?

Go pick up a 3120 or MS880. Just pick it up once.

I just cut firewood and do a little clean up around the house and land, I like to cut, but seems like you guy's love to cut, witch is not a bad thing.
Sorry For all the questions, was just curious that's all.
I have a MS 250 with a 16 inch bar, and a MS 361 with a 20 inch bar.

Run a good ported 361 and you'll start to understand.

You've got it all wrong. It's like buying a BMW M3, and making it run like a 750. We're not starting with inferior saws. It's a very nice thing when you can have the power and performance of a larger saw, in the package of a smaller one. Less weight and fatigue, means more work done at the end of the day.

You do realize an M3 will blow the doors off a 750? Strange analogy....

I don't see it as 'hot rodding' the mods are simple and inexpensive, and if you end up with a smaller saw that can get the job done, where's the problem? Lot's of things they can't do, and if you're cutting for money there is no novelty to it, you don't play with what 'might' work because it's neat. No question, if you need a bigger saw, you go get a bigger saw. I think a modded 346 is a fine pro thinning saw (for my type of work), and like Gary said, the luggin is killer, why make it worse?

There is no replacement for displacement,,,,,well as long as you can get it in a light packge

Explain to me how the 3.8L 911 turbo is faster than the 7L Z06 Corvette then. Because it has forced induction? Nope, it smokes the supercharged ZR-1 Vette too. The correct saying is "There's no replacement for good engineering"

Very profound!:clap:

That is actually a direct qoute from Plato's Republic...that or Flynt's Hustler.

Either way sound wisdom.

Seriously though port sizes are shrinking every year due to the EPA's wrangling of hydrocarbons. Open all saws up and let them breathe and run they way they should!

Have any of you seen the movie Men in Black??? The little gun that they called "the little cricket". A friend has a hopped up MS192t(ported, muffler mod. and squish set). He calls it "the little cricket". Small in size, big in power...

So how'd he adjust the squish on the 192? It's a clamshell engine.

I don't know...:dizzy::confused:I was only telling you what he told me... I have ran that little thing and it does run like a scalded dog. For the size of it of course...

Why do guy's hot rod smaller saws?
Wouldn't it just be easer to buy a bigger saw in the first place?

Kind of like buying a Corvette with a 6 cylinder, and trying to make run like a V-8.

I have found more gains to be found in some of the 60cc and lower size saws. When you begin modding the larger pro saws, you will see that the factory engineers have already done a fairly good job of maximizing port width and timing numbers. On these saws you will need to look into intake tract modds, finding just the right size muffler outlet, etc. There is still plenty there to gain, but you will need to be on your game to see the percentage of gains that can be found in a smaller saw. The best I have done in terms of percentage gain was on a husky 359, there is a huge amount of power and rpm waiting to be unleashed in those little saws. :)

Just what I've found in my very limited experience, your mileage my vary wildly. :D

Why do guy's hot rod smaller saws?
Wouldn't it just be easer to buy a bigger saw in the first place?

Kind of like buying a Corvette with a 6 cylinder, and trying to make run like a V-8.

To get my work done faster and minimize strain on my back. If I can use a smaller/lighter saw it's less strain, and if I cut faster I have more time to goof off and shoot critters like those pesky red squirrels...

So how'd he adjust the squish on the 192? It's a clamshell engine.

My bad, he also did a MS200t for a friend of his. That is the one that he set the squish on... I didn't run that saw but he said that one ran awesome too..

I have 2 modded saw, a 390xp and a 346xp. Simply put, because i like having a better running, more powerful and capable saw. Not to mention the looks i get when i run em' and people hear and then see the chips flying...its quite amusing. The were both built by blsnelling, and im very glad i made the decision to do it...

BTW Brad...The 346 you did for me is a strait up ANIMAL!!!

I have 2 modded saw, a 390xp and a 346xp. Simply put, because i like having a better running, more powerful and capable saw. Not to mention the looks i get when i run em' and people hear and then see the chips flying...its quite amusing. The were both built by blsnelling, and im very glad i made the decision to do it...

BTW Brad...The 346 you did for me is a strait up ANIMAL!!!

Thanks for the kind words. As I've said before, the 346 is the most impressive saw on the market, reguardless of size. It's just amazing the power it puts out for its size. Glad you like it.

Back