Hot Stihl 251

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect your oil line is either cracked or the grommet isn't pressed in the hole properly. If the 251 is anything like the ms250 the oil line is exposed on the underside of the saw and can be damaged or knocked loose by a sharp stick when setting the saw down.

Well... Dealer did the paper test thing when I brought it, and there was only a little bit of oil on the paper, so he said they'd look at it. Came back in the afternoon, they said they just cleaned it up and replaced the oil in it and it oiled fine. I don't know, I guess as long as it's not smoking it's fine? They said the B&C would get pretty hot after some cutting. Maybe I was just being paranoid and it was fine. Better to be safe than sorry, right? Ha.

I don't know if anyone is still following this, but if so I have a somewhat related question. I have a MS 251 with the single bar stud and nut. I brought it out the other day, fired it up, and did some full trigger chain running over clean wood to confirm the chain was getting oil. It was not. When I went to take off the cover and bar I had to really turn hard on the nut. When it did loosen, it felt like a sort of double release of torque. Cleaned everything up very well, and reassembled. I then noticed the cover did not seat evenly, and there was a gap between the bar and the main housing.
Took it apart again, and determined that the shoulder of the mounting stud is sitting up proud of the surrounding surfaces. Wear marks on the bar paint indicate contact only on the stud. Seems it has somewhat backed out, maybe About 30/1000's. Is this stud installed with a removable lock tight, and can I double nut the top threads and try to turn it back in? Or does it have to be replaced at a dealer?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer.

David in MD

Thanks HarleyT!!!
I was hoping to hear an answer like this.
So looking at the parts list it looks to be M8 size stud. I assume coarse thread.

The saw has been changed over to the two stud setup from the one stud or the tool less adjuster. I changed one over this year, not very hard to do. Yours has an older cover on it, the color is slightly different and could have come from an MS250 or any of the smaller older Stihl saws of last year or earlier. It's actually an improvement. I wouldn't start one of these with the chain brake on because of all the plastic around the clutch but don't have a bunch of people around while you're starting it.
EDIT. SORRY FOR DUPLICATE QUESTIONS.
a palmer, or anyone. I have an MS 251 that only has a single stud. The stud had backed out just a bit, so that the blade would not be held tight against the saw body. I was able to tighten the stud back down, and it has stayed put.

I would be very interested in knowing more about what is required to add a second stud.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

David in HOCO MD

Just take out the other screw that is there, and put in a stud. You will have to get a two stud cover, and another bar nut, and a chain tensioner.

Thanks yet again HarleyT. So was the change to a two bolt configuration a model year thing? I do have a chain tensioner that seems the same as my MS260 Pro. What cover part number, or Model #, should I ask my dealer for? A 250?

No, the difference is a ez start thing, with the toolless tensioner, primer bulb, etc..The ms210-250, has the same cover as the ms170-180.

Great. I'll inquire with my dealer. Would you recommend I get the standard or oversized stud?
1123-664-2400 or 1123-664-2405

I said that in my first post here today. I correct myself after taking another look at my saw, and my posts from last year. Duh ;)

Back