How about .375 instead of .404 on a 4-stroke slabber with 72" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Just wondering what you all thought of this idea please? Hoping to consolidate the chain types I need. Seems enough bar clearance in the kerf but I haven't checked it when the cutters get ground right back. Am thinking I could cut cutters off to make super-skip in need the clearance.

Assuming it's not a bad idea and will be OK, then does anyone know where I can get 3/8", 10-14 pin sprockets? I can only see people stocking .404 and 3/4" harvester sprockets. Perhaps something Danzco could help with?

Danzco, kevlargaffs.com, Masdens & not to sure about baileys. Their pretty pricey but nice quality. Bob....do you race hotsaws or race bikesaw mills? They are some big sprockets.

.404 harvester chain or chainsaw chain?
Not sure I understand the question. Are you saying there are two different kinds of .404 chain? I'm only familar with the likes of Oregon's 27r/a/x chains for milling with .404.

What I'm considering is if I can just use 3/8 chain even on a 4-stroke slabber. This way, I don't have to buy .404 chain, which means less $ tied up in rolls of chain - I can standardise on 3/8 .063 for almost everything and if I need to run a multi-skip chain for milling, then I'll just cut off the requisite cutters. But then I'm unsure whether 3/8 will handle 20-30HP. I don't mind not dropping the rakers down as far as .404 would go, if I it would mean one less type of chain/bar sprockets to worry about.

Back